Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Converting from Shimano to SRAM – Knowledge required
  • Tupper

Was about to order SRAM XO shifters and a medium cage rear deurailleur for my current shimano shod Ibis Mojo.

Can anyone see any issues, i.e. length of chain etc. etc.
    Believe the XT front mech will still work fine on a 9×3 set up?

Cheers Tupper

boxelder

It’ll be fine. Are you worried about chain length due to a shorter rear mech?

Junkyard
    Free Member

front mech will work fine.
    you may need to alter chain length but I doubt you will if you use the same size rear mech

Tupper

Boxelder, yep was thinking about the medium cage but this has never been a problem with Shimano on a full susser
    Appreciate the info guys

sebgt
    Free Member

Sram long cage rear mechs seem to struggle a bit with ‘big big’ unless your ‘small small’ is very slack, medium could be a problem…

Tupper

Hi Sebqt

Never ride big,big as that is wrong but defo use small, small on big climbs, I can’t see it making that much difference between long cage and medium cage

njee20
    Free Member

It depends if you want to be able to do it, just in case it happens by accident, as opposed to tearing your mech in half. We all know you shouldn’t do it!

Personally I ran an X.0 medium cage with 3×9 and it worked alright in all combos (on an old Racer-X), but it’ll depend on your specific frame. Long will definitely work in all combos.

You will now get plenty of people saying that it’s fine.

snakebite
    Free Member

medium XO on a 2×9 set up here, 11-34 cassette and a 32 big ring, works fine on my Remedy. Similar set up on the hardtail but XTR and 11-32 thats fine as well. I do also swap the wheels about and it all works fine.

brassneck

I did the same thing (on 3×9), didn’t have to shorten the chain or anything (from XTR rear mech, SRAM chain .. the roadie one with holes in the plates, XT HTII chainset). I run Nokons, so I even reused the cable.

If I remember right the SRAM mech had shorter run around mech and the last bit of cable so I could cut off the end and recrimp easily.

All combos seem to work but big-big doesn’t appeal to my mechanical sympathy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Converting from Shimano to SRAM – Knowledge required’ is closed to new replies.