• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by P20.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Converting Fox F29 RL to RLC by making one fork out of two. Can it be done?
  • I’ve got two Fox F29 forks.

One is a an RL with G2 geometry, with a blue lockout and red rebound adjuster on the top right.
    It’s got a bit of a leak, so could do with new seals, although the stanchions look good.

The other is an RLC with standard geometry, with a blue lockout and black lockout force adjuster on the top right and a red rebound damper adjuster on the lower right.
    One of the stanchions is badly scored.

As far as I can tell, the G2 geometry is just an increase in offset in the CSU, the lowers look identical, apart from the stickers.

So;
    I’ve got to strip the G2 RL fork anyway, to replace the seals.
    Can I mix and match and fit the RLC lowers and internals as an upgrade at the same time?

robarnold
    Free Member

I would think so but it might take some jiggery pokery.

I’ve got a G2 version RLC fork with the same set up as you’ve described above – blue lockout with black threshold dial, red rebound adjuster on bottom.

The internals with both forks are sealed units which which are fitted from the top of the uppers. The lowers are all the same.

Follow the guides online, there are some very thorough ones through Fox themselves which breaks everything down step by step. Once you’ve stripped everything down from the non G2 fork you should be left with hollow uppers and the damping and compression cartridges removed but left complete. I wouldn’t start trying to dismantle these, just remove the circlips at the bottom of the uppers to remove them. Swap the internals over in to the G2 CS assembly including the damper rods

I’d be interested to hear how you get on

Anyone know for sure that this will work, before I try it?

One final bump before I strip them both and find out for myself.
    It would be nice to hear from someone who knows if it can be done or not before I try.

P20

Phone mojo and check. They were able to confirm my two vanillas would have same thread, etc. I’ve just swapped an open system with a FIT cartridge on vanillas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Converting Fox F29 RL to RLC by making one fork out of two. Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.