Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Converting files
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Just got a new iPhone so thought I would install iTunes etc, however it appears most of my music is WMA file so won’t find it in iTunes! I see my options as:

1. Burn them all again off CD.
    2. Download a converter to change to MP3.
    3. I’ve heard iTunes can do the above, is it possible and will it leave all the files in my music folder, I guess I would then have to go through and delete all the old WMA files?

Your help would be appreciated.

creamegg
    Free Member

Wont iTunes convert it automatically? have you tried?

Yes you will have both formats after conversion (i think- been a while since i converted stuff)

lovetoride
    Free Member

When I downloaded iTunes previously it found the mp3 but not the WMA, don’t know how to do it but at least it seems you can.

hugor
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure if you drag the files into itunes it will convert them.

prettygreenparrot

I wasn’t sure iTunes worked with WMA. this article says it does. problem solved.

lovetoride
    Free Member

OK time for an update, downloaded iTunes earlier in the week, converted all WMA files to MP3 which showed up OK in iTunes. Last night decided to delete the WMA files in the music folder and move the new MP3 files from the iTunes Media files to the same folders as all my other music files are stored, C:/Users/My Music. Now most of the albums are shown as ‘unknown album’ with all the tracks from different albums listed under each artist rather than split into their individual albums? I have tried amending the files in the C:/Users/My Music file from ‘unknown album’ to the album name but this hasn’t worked. Currently iTunes is reading music from the iTunes Media file and the check box for keeping the iTunes Media folder organised is unticked. How do I resolve this problem, never had this with Windows Media Player which seemed to be a doddle in comparison.

zilog6128

move the new MP3 files from the iTunes Media files

This is a big no-no. The idea is to let iTunes take care of all the file management. Can you move them back?

I’m not a great fan of iTunes but it works well & is very simple if you use it how it was intended.

lovetoride
    Free Member

I cant see why this should be a problem, it is organised the same now as the rest of the files. The idea is to keep it all together in one file. I have deleted the music from itunes and dragged it back in again with no success.

zilog6128

do the files still have their id3 tags or were they lost somehow when you converted them?

lovetoride
    Free Member

how do you find this out?

lovetoride
    Free Member

iTunes converted the files, all was fine until I moved them alongside the rest of my music collection.

zilog6128

There’s a free windows app called The Godfather that I’ve used in the past to check/edit id3 tags. AFAIK iTunes uses a big XML file to store all the song/album data for your library so it might not have bothered to fill in the id3 data when you converted the files. Then when you manually moved the files, the library data may have been rendered useless because it did not know where to look for them. If this is the case then you should be able to use The Godfather to scan your music files and automatically fill in the id3 tags based on the folder/file structure. Then you could re-import them into iTunes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Converting files’ is closed to new replies.