Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • converting ex-army gortex to 3/4
  • oblique
    Free Member

I have just recived my gortex trousers from e-bay and they are a realy good fit, not as baggy as i imagined.

I have a fried that is good with a sewing machine that owes me a favor so my question is should i just cut the legs off or should i cut the legs off and use the exess material to add a velcro adjusters round the bottoms of the legs?

Also do they stand up to saddle wear well or should i think about reinforcing the ar*e with somemore excess material? i know adding stiching in that area might well make them lose watterproofing but is it worth it?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I wouldn't get too worried about modding them, just cut 'em off to length and wear 'em 'til they're worn out, then replace & repeat.

They don't frey because of the membrane layer bonded in, so don't need any stitching.

Yes, they'll wear through after a while but at <£10, are you that bothered?

Del

which ones did you get, what do you measure, what size did you get?
    what colour socks are you wearing? 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stayhigh

I've just had mine altered at the waist (godbless you mum) as they came up nearly to my armpits or the crutch nearly to my knees.

I cut them straight round the leg and then will cut them at a slight angle to minimise bunching behind the knee area.

If you are that bothered about reinforcing the saddle area simply get your friend to use the excess material from the leg. That way if you wanted to you could even put a pad in there from a old or cheap liner 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘converting ex-army gortex to 3/4’ is closed to new replies.