Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Converting DT Swiss 5.1D rims to tubeless?
  • Fishbone
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m thinking about converting my DT swiss 5.1d Rims to tubless? The DT swiss kit seems a lot of money for what it is? Can I not buy the valves and a rim strip cheaper? Don’t want to go ghetto, with a cut down 20″ tube?
    Any ideas?

Paceman
    Free Member

Stans.

Fishbone
    Free Member

Dosn’t the dt swiss kit covert the rim to a proper tubless rim?

JasonLock
    Free Member

If you want to go tubeless on the cheap then the 20″ BMX tube works fine, otherwise go for the DT swiss kit as it is specific to the rim and comes with a small bottle of sealant in the kit. I could probably get the boss to do a deal on the kit as we have been doing the BMX convrsion over the DT Swiss Kits for a while and have some kits unsold in the shop! Once you have used up the DT swiss sealant I would use the stan,s sealant as it’s the best I have found and have been running it for around 5 years or so!

brassneck

DT swiss kit sucks, or at least does on 4.1d

There is somebody selling Joes No Flats on EBay, 2 wheels worth for £18 delivered, money going to charity. just got my set delivered but not tried it yet. There were 10 packs available I think, but they were for anrrow rims, so check compatibility.

Dango
    Free Member

I have the Stans Rhyno Lite Tubeless System in my 5.1’s as suggested by Freeborn cycles in Horsham, works well

stevomcd
    Free Member

I used the DT kits on mine. Worked really well, no hassles at all, but the DT sealant is pretty rubbish. Stan’s (as above) is much, much better.

toons
    Free Member

Have you tried googling ‘eclipse tubeless kit’, it’s the same as the DT Swiss, you might find it cheaper?

BTW I’ve been running the DT 5.1 kit for 13 months with no problems. Also I’ve just changed the tires and switched to Stans sealant.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I’d like to convert my 5.1s too. Kit seems very expensive, then there’s tyres too, so £150ish. Puts you off some 🙁

boxelder

Another vote for simplifying life and going with the DT kit – less hassle than Stans (I’m using both)

beagle
    Free Member

I have stans xc strips in my 5.1d. Worked a treat.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Beagle,
    just out of interest, which size stans kit did you go for? The bigger one I presume? 21.5 to 24mm?

gamo
    Free Member

Joes rimstrips in mine with stans sealant, works perfectly!

firestarter
    Free Member

dt kit just doesnt work in mine i just cant get it to stop leaking, it works with stans kit and ghetto tho

beagle
    Free Member

Hmmm. If there are 2 sizes, which I thought there was, it was the narrower ones. Aren’t they branded xc and fr? Defo the xc ones. Aren’t the wider ones for schreader?

The guys at Just Riding Along are your friends. Top website and nice guys.

Frankers
    Free Member

I converted my 5.1 Rims using DT Swiss kits from JRA.

I used Conti UST Mountain King 2.4 tyres and managed to get them to seal straight away. I did get some burping on the front when running at around 30psi.

My real problems started though when i tried to change the tyres, I couldn’t get the tyres off even with steel dh levers so ended up having to cut them off, which in itself was a bitch off a job.

I would always recommend to avoid the DT strips with Conti UST tyres.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Converting DT Swiss 5.1D rims to tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.