Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Converting Cateye RC-230’s to 7.2v Ni-MH
  • RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Question for you…

Is it fairly simple to convert Cateye RC-230’s to 7.2v NI-MH

Obviously a 7.2v RC battery won’t fit in the existing bottle pack, nor will the the charger be compatible.

BUT.. Would the wiring and switchgear be able to withstand a 20% increase in voltage?

Looking to swap the 4.5ah 6v SLA for a 5ah 7.2v battery pack.

Also, for future reference, can I fit a Cutter LED conversion into the housings?

Or could one of these be modified to fit? (with a glass lens?)

Cheers!

100mphplus
    Free Member

No problem, the 6v bulbs will take the extra voltage and produce brighter light albeit at a slightly reduced bulb life.

Lumicycle overvolt their 12v bulbs with 14v supply, it’s a common practice.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Aren’t the lamp holders made of of a fairly cheap type of plastic on the RC-230’s?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

sootyandjim – I’ll probably cobble up a couple of led heads off some dealextreme torches to get round that.

Cheers 100mph..

wwaswas

they are but they work fine.

RooleyMoor if you want to consider a different approach I have a Li-Ion battery and charger plus appropriate 12v bulbs etc all plugged into a RC230 lamp unit. It’s a 5mudge 14.8v battery in a bottle I’ve got the switches etc. Could also throw in a cateye helmet mount plus a (Lumicycle) helmet mounted switch if you wanted. all the connectors etc are done and it works fine either bar or helmet mounted.

I’ve only been using it as 12v/20watt lamp – I did used to have problems with the battery going into ‘overload protection’ and cuting the voltage with a 20w and a 12w lamp both going – I think it doesn’t like more than about 30w of current being drwan. tbh if you’re going from 6v just the 20 will be way mor epowerful anyway.

Could do the lot for £50 posted? lukeDOTburstow AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk

100mphplus
    Free Member

I converted some to 12v and also power them with a 14.4 lion volt battery. Yes they get ‘warmish’ but have never melted the nylon lamp housings, still going strong after 4 years :o)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Converting Cateye RC-230’s to 7.2v Ni-MH’ is closed to new replies.