Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • converting an XTR M970 triple to double
  • turneround

anyone done this, just need to advise on what bits i need, looking to keep the 9speed xo mech and cassette but would like to change the front as i never use the wee ring and only the biggy occasionally. Id like a nice lightweight bash to replace the outer – can this be done. i run XO twisties so the 3 spd front should be fine on a 2 ring setup

tomhoward

I swapped the big ring for a bash, then adjusted the stops on the mech to prvent over shifting onto the new bash.

That’s it.

edit

i never use the wee ring and only the biggy occasionally.

Go 1×9?

turneround

what bash did you go for, i have an E13 on another bike but a wee but over the top for me Flux. did you change the rings?

Northwind

Yeah, dead simple- M970 has standard bolt spacing for the outer ring so pretty much any shimano-compatible bashring will fit. It’s only the inside ring which is funky.

Might need shorter or longer bolts depending on which bashring you use.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said and I used a Hope bash and also using XTR and XO
    Dead easy nothing special needed as the big ring is standard BCD.
    May need longer bolts if you use a polycarbonate/plastic one

tomhoward

It’s the one that comes with the slx crank, took a bit of modification with a dremel, but got there in the end 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I ran TA Chinook 40/28 rings on my M970s, M8x2mm spacers on the inner ring.

turneround

ta all 🙂

turneround

oh one thing, will i need to change out the rear mech as its currently a long cage XO…thins may start getting expensive!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nope that is what I use as i did not change mine.
    On an orange so not sure how bad ona bike with proper chain stays re slap

turneround

dw link on a turner so no proper stays

zbonty

Any hot tips for replacement rings? Still running a triple but its gonna get ugly buying replacements.

scuttler

I got one of these and wound the derailleur outer-stop back in – http://bbgbashguard.com/

Keep the rear mech – maybe take some links out. At some point you’ll mash the mech and then you can buy a shorter cage one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘converting an XTR M970 triple to double’ is closed to new replies.