Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Converting an 09 Singlecross to geared?
  • towen
    Free Member

Anyone done this or know someone who has?

I have a Specialized Single Cross that has horizontal drop outs that are spaced at 119mm. I was thinking of using an internally geared hub, Alfine 8 (135mm width) or Sturmey Archer 5 Speed (119mm width) and a bar end shifter.

The main issue here is that the spacing of the rear dropouts that don’t really allow for the width of the Alfine. Will the Sturmey Archer hubs be up to CX use?

Has anyone done this before? I know it seems like sacrilege to convert a SS but I need to convert the CX for bigger mileage and road riding. This will save me buying yet another bike.

Edric64
    Free Member

An old bloke used a Sturmey 4 speed on the 3 peaks the other year

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s a 54cm frame you could sell it to me to make room for what you really want?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    towen
    Free Member

haha, it is 54cm 😉

Selling it and also my Soma B-side to buy an even better CX bike is my fall back option.

cp

I looked into an Alfine/nexus on mine – there just isn’t the width, even removing/modifying spacers, it just physically does not fit in.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Depends what gear spread you need, but I’ve considered extending my SS by running a triple up front, with a suitable tensioner hanging from an axle mounted derailleur hanger. Was even tempted to try running it with a friction shifter on the seat post.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You could run an older freewheel back wheel spaced to 120mm. I got a 6 speed freewheel in my SS Tricross. I used a hanger off a cheap old Shimano mech and a bar end shifter.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’m at the same place with my pompino bodging on some gears?

I think I am just gonna split it up and build something with gears instead

towen
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of this: S2 kickshift

I’m fine climbing but the 1.38 ratio should give me the extra mph on the road.

rooney
    Free Member

Ha I’ve been looking at the same for my day one! But I hate selling bikes

jackthedog
    Free Member

Or you can go Schlumpf.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

It’s almost cheaper to buy a whole new bike than a Schlumpf!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Converting an 09 Singlecross to geared?’ is closed to new replies.