Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Converting a double to a single chain set. New to MTB.
  • bobbybrain
    Free Member

Hey all,

Long time reader first time poster. ]

So, I’ve decided that riding only road bikes is boring and am putting together a little single speed MTB for the woods.

I’ve always rode a single speed bike (BMX and road) and would like to stick to single speed MTB too.

I have a On-One 26″ single speed frame and am looking to get some cranks with it.

Am I right in thinking that I can just buy a double or triple ring, get some short bolts and pop in a single speed ring? I have had a look at some crank sets and some look like it would like kind of ugly to turn a triple into a single.

If anyone has any suggestions on which cheap(ish) sets would make a decent single ring conversion I would be very appreciative.

Looking forward to seeing what you peeps have to say!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Basically, as you suspect, any crank will do
    I have no advice on what will look nice

takisawa2

You don’t have to have a single speed specific ring, just narrower chainring bolts.
    SS rings are betterer though.

bobbybrain
    Free Member

Oh ok, good to know. So if I am smart I can just get a cheap double/triple where one of the rings has the number of teeth I’m after. Then adjust the rear cog to get a nice chain line, or if I spend a little extra I can get a single speed ring.

I have noticed that the teeth on geared rings are a big thinner and have some interesting cuts on them, which I guess allow for the chain to pop off easier when shifting.

I was expecting this to be more complex, but happy to hear it’s not! Thanks for the help chaps.

alexpalacefan

Charlie the Bike Monger

Velo Solo

These are the websites that will tell you/sell you what you need.

I’d deffo go for SS cog and ring, otherwise you’ll be dropping the chain all the time.

APF

goldenwonder
    Free Member

If you buy a double chainset, you won’t need extra bolts, as those supplied are single ring for the outer anyway-the inner is a different BCD & has separate bolts.
    However, a triple generally gives a slightly better chain line.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

As people have said, it’s a doddle to convert. Ive got a SS hub converter somewhere in anodised red, a 17t rear cog and maybe a chain that are all pretty new if you’re interested? Email in profile mate.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Oh and for cranks I’d just choose something with a 104 BCD. Deore, SLX are always knocking about cheap on here eBay and pink bike.

bobbybrain
    Free Member

Great info everyone, thank you. I think I will pop down the local LBS and see what they have second hand. I’ll make sure to get a new front cog too.

While I have your attention….

I’m also getting some 26″ wheels for the first time. As this is a single speed frame with horizontal drop-outs I’m guessing that threaded axle is the best option? Paired with some chain tugs.

From the MTB’s I see most often they all look like quick release hollow axles. is it common to see 26″ MTB wheels with threaded axles? Or is this a case of make my own wheels up?

bobbybrain
    Free Member

ps – jonnytheleyther : Thanks for the offer but I already have a converter, it’s one of the only spares I have from past bike building adventures!

boxelder

You can always add a bash ring in place of the outer ring?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Converting a double to a single chain set. New to MTB.’ is closed to new replies.