Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Converting a CX bike to flat bars
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a CX bike, 55cm frame with a 55cm top tube funnily enough, the wife wants a bike for bimbling with the kids, so I’ve thought (as I’m lining up a nice new carbon one) of putting a set of flat bars and cable pull levers on there.

It’s got a XT rear mech with Wolftooth tanpan for the 105 road levers, so the shifter is easy as I’ve got an XT in the shed and I’d just taken the tanpan off.

Granted it’ll be shorter than your average MTB, but with a 90mm stem and a set of bars it’ll be a nice upright position for her.

One question is, with TRP Spyres, what flat bar levers would I need?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thinking outside the box, as I sometimes do, how about a wide set of gravel drop bars, like the 54cm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBNIRM3/nitto-rm-3-gravel-handlebar for £34?

They will be ~12+cm wider than conventional drop bars, making them more stable.

I’ve been contemplating buying a pair myself to try on the Wazoo, fixing the flat bar shifters and brake levers to the tops, if that would work without any bodging.

Dickyboy

I’ve got a set of Shimano flat bar road brake levers in the garage – ie ones for caliper brakes, was gonna use them with spyers but opted for drop bars in the end. Email in profile for details.

martymac

My mate did this to his genesis something or other, I can’t remember the exact model.
    His was alfine equipped, so he just bought the alfine trgger shifter.
    He had bb7 brakes which he wasn’t that impressed with, so he just bought some flat bar hydro brakes.
    He didn’t change the stem or anything else and it all worked brilliantly.

Genesis day one alfine 11, a quick google tells me.
    With flat bars and zee brakes.

Bez

Thinking outside the box ignoring the question

😉

Any levers from a road group set should be fine. Or pre-V brake MTB levers.

fasthaggis

I used Avid Speed Dial 7 levers the last time I did that kinda setup,they were fine.

martymac

Tektro chicken levers would be the correct cable pull

13thfloormonk

I’ve got Ultegra flat bar levers, they were disappointingly basic, but also cheap on CRC 8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Converting a CX bike to flat bars’ is closed to new replies.