Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Converting 105 triple to double
  • spacemonkey

Am looking at a second hand option for joining the dark side, and one of the models has a triple.

How straightfoward/costly to switch to double? Current set up:

Front mech 105 5600
    Rear mech 105 5600
    10 spd Shifters 105 5700
    Cassette 105 5600
    Rings 105
    BB 105 5700

Cheers

eshershore
    Free Member

It’s expensive as its a pair of sti, new crankset, front mech, rebuild labour.

Sometimes you can find a left sti on eBay (people sell when they’ve broken shifter in crash and been left a spare from buying a new pair).

spacemonkey

That was my fear.

Decent bike for the money but no advantage (to me) of it being a triple. No harm in running it that way, but I imagine I’d want to go compact double soon enough.

Ta

darkplunger
    Free Member

I currently use triple STIs on a double. I simply limited the front mech, using the limiting screws. To run a triple as a double you can remove the third ring. Limit the front mech and it will work. It will look better if you replace long cage rear mech with a short one and shorten the chain accordingly. Mine is a nine speed set up. Not sure if it works on ten speed.

spacemonkey

Interesting to hear a bit of tweaking can make a difference. Will do some more digging. Ta

raisinhat
    Free Member

Depends a little on whether you want a compact or standard.
    I haven’t done this myself, but I’ve read on the internet that you can just dial in the limit screws on the front mech and still use the triple shifter. Just make sure to put the new smallest ring on the same click as the old smallest ring of your triple, that way you get the most adjustments on your shifter.

Road triples have a 130 bcd on the middle ring, so you’re stuck with 39 tooth smallest gear. Better to just buy a new crankset, especially since shimano ones can do both compact or standard on the same cranks.

Have to agree that triples are useless (unless you’re touring with a heavy loaded bike). Smallest gear is far too spinny, and 39 – 50 has way too much overlap.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Converting 105 triple to double’ is closed to new replies.