Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Converting 105 10 speed to hydraulic
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Im Currently running 105 10 speed on my cross bike with a shimano rear wheel that is not 11 speed compatible.

Am I right in thinking the only way I could run shimano hydraulic disc brakes would be to purchase an 11 speed groupset and a new rear wheel? Any cheaper options?

i know I could technically run di2 10 speed hydraulic but that’s not an option.

simondbarnes

If you can wait a bit then Shimano have announced 10spd tiagra hydraulic shifters / brakes.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/184535-shimano-unveils-tiagra-hydraulic-disc-brakes

AngusWells

You are stuck if you can’t go eleven speed unless you are prepared to go with TRP Hy-Rds. Using Jagwire compression-less cables they are not far off the same performance. And a lot less dosh.

wiggles
    Free Member

As far as I’ve seen the new tiagra is flat mount so won’t work on a post mount bike…

midlifecrashes

Will there be a triple option? I’d have thought the niche was big enough to justify it. Plenty of touring bikes out there would like a triple and hydro discs.

simondbarnes

Will there be a triple option?

Almost certainly not.

simondbarnes

As far as I’ve seen the new tiagra is flat mount so won’t work on a post mount bike…

Could swap the calipers out for some RS785s but obviously that’s more expense.

swanny853

I’m in the same position- just bought a lindarets tanpan from 18 bikes. I’m going to be using it run a 1×10 (11 when this wears out) mtb drivetrain with 685 shifters but I’m pretty sure you can use it with a double with the right gears.

alloyisreal

Convert 11 speed to 10

Not tried it but seems simple enough

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. I just wanted to check I wasn’t missing an obvious upgrade route.

Think I’ll run with mechanical brakes for now and upgrade to hydro as and when the groupset wears out

igm

I run Hope VTwins which work very well. Obviously not 100% hydraulic and probably not the cheapest – but work extremely nicely with no fuss.

ransos
    Free Member

If you can wait a bit then Shimano have announced 10spd tiagra hydraulic shifters / brakes.

I think the new Tiagra isn’t backwards compatible with current 10 speed.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Might not be pretty, but Hylex brakes with a pair of bar end shifters, as a cheap way of doing it?

prawny

You’ll be able to use the new tiagra levers with deore or similar calipers apparently.

I might do that, or some of the acor semi hydro ones for commuting, the manual adjustment will help me remember to replace pads on the commuter. If it was a pure cross bike though I’d want full hydros.

blader1611
    Free Member

I think the new tiagra stuff (roadie stuff certainly) isnt compatible with other generation tiagra, they have changed the pull ratio for the levers and rear mech so you would need the full lot, thanks shimano.

plus-one

As mentioned hylex with bar end shifter 🙂

I converted my cx/ss as I no longer raced to winter/wet weather/off road with spare wheels

1×10

Dura ace 9 speed bar end shifter(friction mode) 10 speed cassette and 105 11 speed rear mech(bought in error last year been languishing in spares box)

Works sweet 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G256Cu]1×10 road/cx rig[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

simondbarnes

I think the new Tiagra isn’t backwards compatible with current 10 speed.

It’s backwards compatible with his wheel 🙂

prawny

I’m liking the look of the Hope system, I’d forgotten about that in all the disc hoohah, might spring for one of them for the commuter. The’re not much more than TRP Hy/Rds and much cheaper than a full system.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Converting 105 10 speed to hydraulic’ is closed to new replies.