Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Convertible Cars
  • eskay

It must be below 10 degrees this morning yet I saw three people with their roofs down. I have never had a convertible but I would assume it is bloody freezing early in the morning.

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s lovely. Put the heater on, pull up your collet and feel refreshed before you get to work. Almost all cars were like it once.

Houns

Just watching Top Gear on Dave and Clarkson is driving around the Sunny & Snowy Dales in a convertible Jag, sat here thinking it’d be lovely to do that, then spot this thread!

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m always bemused by the number of convertibles I see with the roof up in fine warm weather.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m always bemused by the number of convertibles I see with the roof up in fine warm weather.

Probably driven by baldies and need the roof up to prevent lobster head

rickmeister

Heated seats are essential on a soft top. Makes you feel like you have wet yourself, but very toasty…

Pigface
    Free Member

A friend had a convertible and to be honest I always felt a bit of a cock when driving around Porthcawl with the roof down, dont know why just felt uncomfortable and vulnerable. He sold it after about 18 months and admitted he felt the same.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Almost all cars were like it once.

And there’s a reason why they’re not anymore – it’s a really crap idea.

aracer
    Free Member

Got a 307CC as a hire car for work in January once (I presume it wasn’t all that much in demand at that time of year). Top up for the motorway bit, but I had my down jacket and gloves to wear for the non motorway bits – I figured it had to be done, and was quite fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking of posting just about the opposite thread to this. It’s been lovely the last few days and I’ve seen loads of people with the top up – honestly, what’s the point of spending the extra if you’re going to leave the top up?

If I had one I’d have the top down as often as possible, and I’d wear a hat if it was cold. Don’t like open top motoring? Don’t by a convertible and save a load of money.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A friend had a convertible and to be honest I always felt a bit of a cock when driving around Porthcawl with the roof down

I fully understand this, and expect I would feel similar, but what a shame, as it’s completely illogical.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its great, heater on and wrap up warm.

Only put the roof on the midget when its actually raining.

zoo200
    Free Member

Cue midget jokes….

robdob
    Free Member

Feel like an idiot? Depends on which convertible.

BMW/Audi, yes you look like an idiot.

1960/70’s Alfa or Merc, no, that’s doing it right!

trail_rat
    Free Member

interesting observation by a man whos never had one.

my colleagues 93 slk 350 with the roof down is ace- regardless of the weather as long as its not actually raining.

air scarfs are most excellent.

winston
    Free Member

Aventador convertible drove through my little town yesterday with a couple of pink shirted banker types in Oakley’s – just looked naff. However the same car on some continental mountain road with a long haired t-shirt wearing euro type and a hot girl would have probably looked quite appealing

Conversely a young guy drives through a lot in a snot green frog eyed sprite in dreadlocks and a NIN t-shirt! (I don’t think it has a roof as he does this in January as well) Now that I like and it fits better with the area

BoardinBob

Nothing better than getting the roof down on a frosty winter night with a clear sky. Heaters on full blast and the stars shining above. Awesome fun.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ive got a convertible, but really don’t like driving with the roof down in towns or motorways. I enjoy it on hot summer nights or drives through the country roads….ideally both!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup, clear cold sunny morning with the roof down is fabulous. What a great way to start the day. I’ve never owned a convertible but have to say on a sunny day, warm or cold, they are great

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I loved being topless when I had the convertibles. O-er. nothing better on a sunny day than driving country lanes. In a city you can feel a bit odd but get over yourself.

I remember two great drives, the first was a winters day, cold, snow everywhere but roads cleared and dry, turn the heater up, heated seats on, thick down jacket and gloves and sunglasses, loooverly. the second was a hot summers night driving home 40 miles with the stars above.

molgrips
    Free Member

A workmate needed a new car for his wife asap due to the old one being written off, the VW dealer had several Golf Cabriolets on the forecourt in the middle of winter so he got a brand new one for £18k. Apparently with the rear screen it’s not that windy even on the motorway, so they always have the top down where possible.

bruk

Wife used to have a MX5 and it was brilliant fun. Hood down, heater on was great fun. Only when really cold would I leave the hood up and that was just because folding it when it was frosty damaged it.

As before cool evening, hood down and country road is a great combo.

andybrad

love it. Its fantastic. Get the top down in the snow its fun.

Rockape63
    Free Member

By the way you should also have all the windows down too. Its a personal annoyance seeing roofs down and all the windows up. As for wind deflectors….don’t get me started!

brassneck

Don’t even really need the roof up if it’s raining, if you’re whipping along.

It’s just it starts to fill up when you’re stuck in a queue.

No problem in the MX5 (unbuckle and lift the roof), but of a nightmare in the Elise (at least 5 minutes of swearing to fit, when well practiced)

Wife used to have a MX5 and it was brilliant fun. Hood down, heater on was great fun. Only when really cold would I leave the hood up and that was just because folding it when it was frosty damaged it.

Like a complete tool, I did that. It was only a problem on cheapy non zipout window hoods which mine had.. obviously I replaced it with exactly the same 🙂 – £180 and an afternoons work. Had to bribe Dad over with biscuits as he had a pop rivetter.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I remember being a couple of cars behind a woman in a SAAB convertible with the roof down in Exeter a few years ago when a couple of youngsters decided to decorate her with a Mcflurry icecream from about five stories up as we waited for a traffic light beside a multi story car park – I still remember her scream as it splatted everywhere.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Conv, it’s most excellent. I use it top down when I feel like it and top up when I feel like it. Thats the thing with these cars, you get the choice and I certainly don’t feel like a cock.
    Winter/Summer makes no odds, top down, windows up, heater on/off, seats on/off..
    It’s most excellent.
    I don’t see your point..

iolo
    Free Member

I would drive one of these with the roof down at minus 20.
    Just a beasutiful car.

goslow

I’ll even drop the roof on a sub-zero day. Put the heater on full and wear a hat. It’s way warmer and more comfortable than riding a bike.

nickewen
    Free Member

What I can’t quite understand is the amount of convertible oil burners on the road.. I just don’t get it. Sunny day, roof down, and the soundtrack…. diga-diga-diga tractor time!

Maybe a diesel convertible owner can put me right on this one 😀

Del

there’s a big difference between a sportscar and a saloon that’s had the roof lopped off and a tent strapped to it.

ourmaninthenorth

A friend had a convertible and to be honest I always felt a bit of a cock when driving around Porthcawl with the roof down, dont know why just felt uncomfortable and vulnerable.

We used to have a MX-5. I never even considered this, though a mate used to complain if I was driving him. I’d just pull up at some traffic lights and turn up volume on *that* Village People song…. 😀

(Oh and +loads for driving with the roof down at all available opportunities. If we weren’t a family of three, we’d have another like a shot.)

Only time I’ve driven in a convertable with the roof down was through the middle of Slough.

It was noisy, dirty and I kept thinking we were going to get mugged. It put me right off owning one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

somewhatslightlydazed – Member
    Only time I’ve driven in a convertable with the roof down was through the middle of Slough.

It was noisy, dirty and I kept thinking we were going to get sold some drugs. I bought some the following day.

FIFY

😀

d4
    Free Member

Another Midget owner and the only time it gets driven roof up is when it’s actually raining. To be fair this is down to being tall enough for it to be awkward to get in and out of with the roof up and it being a second car.
    Agree about feeling a little selfconcious in town and great on country roads on a summer night.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you complain about drivers in convertibles, they can often hear you…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our midget actualy has a hard-top, which has been used twice in the last 6 years.

Once when the guy delivered it to us, once when I moved it from my house to my parents.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Convertibles are great for exposing haterz.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Convertibles are great for exposing haterz.

I don’t feel exposed at all, I quite like the wind in my face.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Convertible Cars’ is closed to new replies.