Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Converted cellar…..who has one…..how do you heat it?
  • letmetalktomark

We recently converted/tarted up our cellar so that it can be used as a study/office.

The cellar has in it a storage heater that runs off of an economy seven circuit.

We turned off the heater a few days ago due to the warmer weather. After the weekend (no use since Friday) the cellar has, unsurprisingly, cooled down and is now like a cold store. 🙄

My question is – those that have converted/use their cellars what do you do for heat?

IanMunro
    Free Member

My locked up daughter.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Does it have any windows?

edit
    (LOL I nearly said kidnapped people but thought better of it!)

letmetalktomark

Ian – Sadly no children 😡

Billy – Yes it does but its recessed into the ground and has a perspex rain cover. Sadly does not get much sunlight and what it does get is at about 1600

sparkerfix

We use a small 90w panel heater or garden tube heater permanently on. This keeps the ambient temp about right all year.

letmetalktomark

sparkerfix – Member

We use a small 90w panel heater or garden tube heater permanently on. This keeps the ambient temp about right all year.

Could you suggest a specific?

Do you find that this makes a difference to both in room comfort and more importantly electricity bills?

sparkerfix

Our cellar is used as the office. Room comfort wise it's about right most of the year with panel heater, only needing a boost on the coldest winter days with a portable convection heater. Cellars are cold so i guess 90w all year round is a small price to pay to have a habitable, useable room.We do find if no heating is on at all, then paper for example will start to feel cold/damp, even though I have completely "tanked" the cellar walls and dry lined it. Would think the room is about 12'x10' and in my opinion a great addition to the property. Converted it about 6 years ago, been great.
    This is a 180w tube heater for example-
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73375/Heating-Cooling/Heaters/Galaxy-180W-Tubular-Heater

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Not got a cellar, live in a modern rabbit hutch, but would underfloor heating be suitable on a thermostat & timer?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Converted cellar…..who has one…..how do you heat it?’ is closed to new replies.