Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Convert to tubeless – how??
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

Want to convert to tubeless & was told I could use Stans rim tape & tubeless valves. In looking closer all threads seem to point to having to use a kit with the rubber rim strip with integral valve. Rims are Mavic 317. Tyres are Racing Ralphs.

Cheers!

julzm
    Free Member

Buy a tubeless conversion kit. Stans do one which has the rim tape, rubber strips with valves and sealant. 30 minute job. Did my OH mavic 319s last week (650b). Been perfect. Remember if you need to use co2 to pop the beads, remove it next day and replace with pump air to prevent sealant going off and/or co2 leaking out and tyre going soft.

MartynS

Mmmm.

Everyone has a different Experiance with tubeless..
    I did 717s with normal rim tape, then a stans rim strip. Popped on the tyre (maxxis advantage) put in sealant then inflated with a track pump.
    Didn’t need to bother with co2.
    I’ve also managed to do a 717 with a couple of wraps of tape and a valve, it seems that as long as the rim tape makes a fairly solid contact with the tyre you should be ok!!

Good luck

nuke

I did the yellow tape, rim strip and track pump fine with a 317 but I have to say the narrow nature of the rim (internally 17mm) didn’t make it good at supporting the tyre so I had to pump it up hard than I’d like so I wasn’t ‘feeling’ tyre/rim contact on certain rocks and roots on faster descents

carlos
    Free Member

Super star components tubeless rim tape and valves, then some proper Stans Sealant fluid is all you need

1) Overlap tape after 2 wraps by 3-4″ (not directly over where the valve hole is)
    2) Poke a small hole for the valve
    3) Fit a tyre and tube as normal and leave for a few hrs. This helps to press the tape into the rim profile
    4) Remove one side of the tyre and the tube
    5) Install tubeless valve and a couple of scoops of Stans Sealant, refit tyre bead and inflate to desired pressure
    6) If your not using a tubeless ready tyre, spin it round for 10 mins or so covering all the axis to get the sealant properly sloshed about
    7) Repeat for other wheel
    8) Go ride or crack open a beer

Northwind

I was never satisfied with the bodgey approaches on my Mavics (717 and 721). Needed too much pressure otherwise they were inclined to burp. YMMV of course (and lots of people find otherwise) Big fan of tubeless with a tubeless rim though.

I’ve got a couple of DT 5.1s set up with their own stans-style rim at the moment, that’s worked really well but isn’t the lightest.

enfht
    Free Member

719 here. Kenda Nevs went on fine with the stans conversation kit. Just changed to Nobby Nics which needed an extra rim strip under the stans rubber to get a tighter fit.

The tire should inflate with just soapy water and stay inflated for a little while without sealant otherwise either the stans strip isn’t seated correctly or you need to add some tape under the rim strip.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The last post has the key, soapy water in a spray bottle!

My 719’s are up with just stans tape. I’ve had a couple of burping issues but that was stuff that would have ripped most tyres off. Normally use a compressor to get them on/up and leave at about 50psi overnight before setting the riding pressure.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Thanks for all that advice – will give it a go.

hora
    Free Member

Wheres currently the best/cheapest place for wheel goo’?

jonnyseven

Anyone tried to use non UST tyres and had problems with pinprick holes in the sidewalls not sealing when trying to set them up?

I’m struggling to get a Conti protection tyre to seal up with Stan’s so thinking of trying try another (thicker) sealant or some form of glue on the inside of the tyre. Any better ideas? Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got some Shwalbe (sp?) stuff but it’s also made by Stans so probably exactly the same

carlos
    Free Member

Jonny7 – I’ve used Nevegals and Chunky Monkeys that aren’t UST, can’t say I had issues with the walls leaking. I guess you could chuck in an extra scoop and some glitter wouldn’t go a miss, lay the wheel on it’s side and give it a real good spin. Repeat for other side. Some people have had good results by just going for a quick spin round the block

tthew

Wheres currently the best/cheapest place for wheel goo’?

On-one sell litre bottles of the stuff for a tenner. here.
    I used a Joes conversion kit on 319’s with non tubeless Geax tyres. Hold air better than my Stans rims with the Stans tape and valves.

bennn
    Free Member

Morning all, so am I thinking correctly that all I need to do this is some correctly sized rim tape for the internal diameter of the rims.
    Some fluid -(how much per rim/tyre?) and some valve’s? Do I also need a valve core remover to get the fluid in?

Neither the rims or tyres are tubeless specific.

Ta’, Ben

thepodge
    Free Member

My bottle of fluid suggests 60 oz per tyre. Most bottles seem to come in sizes of just enough for one wheel or LOADS. I used an adjustable spanner for the valve core but have a proper tool on order for next time to make it easier

brnoblade
    Free Member

My bottle of fluid suggests 60 oz per tyre

Replace 60 oz with 60 ml

thepodge
    Free Member

Sat in the car 4 foot from my wheel and the flipping valve starts leaking.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Convert to tubeless – how??’ is closed to new replies.