Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Convert psi to N (possible?)
  • RS4KEV

Tonight’s technical question. I want to order a replacement gas strut for a cupboard. It’s american so is listed as 40psi 12″ Ext x 8″.

Found a UK supplier with a similar sized unit but it asks for the force in N. Any clever types tell me how to convert 40psi to N for this?

TIA

Kev

stuartie_c
    Free Member

psi is a measure of pressure.

N is a measure of force.

Pressure = force/area so you’d want to make the conversion to N per square metre.

(I think; this is from a hazy recollection of school physics over 20 years ago…)

stuartie_c
    Free Member
    JAG

IF you can calculate the area of the piston within the strut then you can convert the psi value into a Newton value.

You can estimate the piston diameter as a bit smaller than the outside diameter of the strut body – not the pushrod. Say 1/8″ smaller.

Once you’ve calculated the area as pi x r^2 then you multiply the area by the pressure to give an answer in lbf (pounds-force).

Then multiply this value by 4.448 to give you Newtons 8)

For info’: pi = 3.1415926 and r^2 means radius squared (ie radius x radius)

crikey
    Free Member

40 pound/square inch = 275 790.291 2 newton/square meter

from stuartie c site..

JAG

Oh yeah, you should measure the strut body diameter in Inches.

That’s because PSI = Pounds per Square Inch

RS4KEV

Thanks for replies. Have a feeling i might end up with a decimal in the wrong place trying to do this. Anyone please 😉

Sizes are

Cylinder Dia. Ø 18mm
    Stroke 100mm
    Cylinder Length 140mm
    Force 50-700N

JAG

of course – give me a few minutes 😆

JAG

Is that info’ about the existing strut?

I need the body diameter and the strut diameter (preferably in Inches) of the strut you want to replace.

Length etc…. doesn’t matter

I’ll assume 40 psi unless you say otherwise

RS4KEV

Thanks JAG, need to take it off to measure properly. Will post tmrw thx.

JAG

email me if it’s easier. Address is in my profile 😀

Flaperon

It’s 0.4 square inches, which at a pressure of 40 psi will generate a force of 16 pounds (presumably fully compressed).

40 pounds (treated as a force) is approximately 175 Newtons. Could of course be completely wrong!

Flaperon

Too many beers, ignore my last post! Please can a moderator delete it or correct it for me? Correct version:

It’s 0.4 square inches, which at a pressure of 40 psi will generate a force of 16 pounds (presumably fully compressed).

16 pounds (treated as a force) is approximately 70 Newtons.

Remember reading that post and thinking that 17kg of lifting force was quite high but too lazy to double check the working. 🙂

RS4KEV

strut is 8mm
    body is 19mm

thx

(sorry don’t know inches equivalent)

rj
    Free Member

Assuming the cylinder wall thickness is around 2mm, i.e. the piston diameter will be 15mm, that would give you a force of close on 50N.

amt27
    Free Member

weigh the cupboard door in kg, multiply by 9.8, that’s how many newtons of force the strut has hold in equilibrium, multiply by 1.2 for safety and any strut with a force over that will be fine,

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Ffs, just ring the supplier and ask!!! They’ll tell you right away

Then send then a link to this thread so they can have a good laugh

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Convert psi to N (possible?)’ is closed to new replies.