• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Contractors and your etiquette please!!
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Folks,

I’m thinking of making the leap into contracting and am squaring off a potential now.

My question is do you guys keep your working time rigid and anything either side of that you charge for or do you let the odd hour here and there ride as you would with a standard employer??

Ta….for now!! 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Contractor etiquette here is to be at the front of the queue when someone has a birthday or there’s left over buffet from a meeting and make a **** mess of the toilets.

IHN

do you let the odd hour here and there ride as you would with a standard employer and expect them to do the same

This

to be at the front of the queue when someone has a birthday or there’s left over buffet from a meeting and make a **** mess of the toilets

And this

hels
    Free Member

And go about saying “squaring off” lots too, that will make you popular.

IHN

oh yeah, and that.

binners

Regularly remind the full time staff how much more an hour you’re on than them

Always a winner, that one

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, plus become a total fantasist.

‘Oh yeah, I was working on the moon until you guys called me up/

alfabus
    Free Member

flexibility is a two way street… let me go to the doctor, shoot off early when i’ve got a weekend away, or nip to the post office occasionally, and I will be there late at night mucking in when you’ve got a deadline.

be an arse and clock watch me, and I will be out the door at 5 sharp.

Dave

IHN

oh yeah, definitely that.

I find that a simple “you know, I do the same job as you but for twice the money, and I don’t have to do all the performance appraisal bollocks or, frankly, care about my job” works.

hels
    Free Member

TSY – nice one and so true !

I sat next to a contractor for 3 months, who was trained in military combat, could fly planes and would have been a fighter pilot except he suffered from migraines (didn’t we all). The rest of us at the desks would email “bingo” to each other hourly. He left to make 1000s of pounds a day trading currencies and finish building a flight simulator in spare room.

He was at least entertaining. But really mean with money, we stole his wallet once at the pub when he was in the toilet and emptied it into the kitty. Turns out military combat fighting is quite nancy when you see it live.

binners

Indeed IHN!

Then there’s also the moment when someone starts filling you in with workplace gossip and bitching – and believe me, someone will – just look at them blankly and say “what are you telling me all this for? I don’t actually give a ****!”

Then you have a wonderful shared moment, when they realise that the fact that you’re getting paid more than them is the least of their worries. At this point, depending on how justified/depressing the bitching was, they may assault you. Or possibly cry

IHN

Then there’s also when someone starts filling you in with workplace gossip and bitching – and believe me, someone will

She sits next to me. She’s called Aileen. I wear headphones a lot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Contractors and your etiquette please!!’ is closed to new replies.