Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Contract v Permenant work
  • Clong
    Free Member

Throwing this out to the single track massive to get some opinions. Been a bit of an up and down year for me work wise, however ended taking on a contract role after being layed off for the second time. The hiring manager on the contract role is a former manger of mine at a previous permanent position and a big part of acceptance on both sides is because we knew each other. However, after one month into a 6 month contract I have been approached by another company, out of the blue, who have offered me a permanent position (after a very informal interview, ive worked with the hiring manager in the past). When the whole package is considered (paid holidays etc), there is very little in it, maybe 2-3kk over the year. The contract is for 6 months, good chance of it being extended but nothing in the offing at the moment. Both are within cycling distance (contract role 8 miles, perm 12 miles), contract role has Friday afternoons off mind.

I have a huge amount of respect for manager in the contract role and I’m reluctant to let him down, when we met he was very insistent that I commit to the 6 month, however the company offer the permanent position are rather persuasive. They’ve already upped the offer by 20%, prepared to wait a couple of months, but no more.

SO what the singletrack forum views?

brassneck

Look after number 1. Go to the permanent role if thats what you want.

You can give a months notice, thats about a month more than a few contractors have given me!

somouk
    Free Member

It boils down to how loyal you are to the contract manager. Logic would dictate that you bin the contract and go for the more secure permanent work unless you intend to remain contracting for longer or are guaranteed another contact after this on.

wwaswas

Do what’s right for you.

They’ll drop you in the current role when it suits them, regardless of how much contract has left to run.

z1ppy

I’d go for the full time position, as it supposedly (after the initial 3[?] month probabtion period) you’ll not be quite as easy to get rid of as a contractor. Contracts can end without warning, without the previous warning or actual your managers input or control (from above), let alone no sick or holiday pay. There a lot to be said about being paid whilst on holiday!

PS: If you hiring manager is any friend, go talk to him 1st, he’ll realise that you have to do what best for you, not him.

julians
    Free Member

Do whats best for you but, if you decide to finish this contract early dont be surprised if in the future you cant get any more work at that place.

To be honest if the permie job is within 2 or 3k of the contract job, then either the permie job is amazingly well paid, or (more likely) the contract job is not very well paid. If the latter then take the permie job.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Z1ppy is quite bang on here, go for perm regardless, but do speak to your friend/manager first at least you owe him that and yah, you might burn some bridge in the end but a man gotta do what a man gotta do. Im actually is very same position as you are right now but both for perm position… But im leaning more on the current one as i have friday afternoon off and whole weekend and halfway to cannock which makes my situation Ace during the summer 😀

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Perm is not as perm as it was back in the day, within the first year of employment it’s fairly easy to exit you without recourse or make you redun with little in the way of pay out. Worth seeing if the company making the perm offer have let people go at all recently and whether their business is highly dependant on a single contract/company or source of work. Also might be worth going to have an honest conversation with the current guy and explain to him your predicament, if he’s a decent guy he’ll be able to relate to your dilemma and the desire for some stability. Things to check in the perm contract would be length of probation and notice period post probation period, the longer the notice period after probation the more security you have if things go tits up.

EDIT I’m speaking as an HR bloke who prefers working as an interim.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Contract v Permenant work’ is closed to new replies.