Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Contract being changed being asked to work bank holidays HR Question
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I work 5 days a week and two sundays morns (3.5hrs per sunday) a month

We have been told today that our contracts are going to be changed in a consultation there are a few things that will change that I’m okay with (i think) but the main thing is we will be asked to work 4/5 bank holidays a year.

The amount of 28days holiday including bank holidays is the minimum of which I receive, so if I have to do these 4/5 bank holidays per year am I entitled to have those days off at another time to make it up to the 28 days ? The law says they don’t have to pay anymore money for bank holidays.
    Bank holidays we won’t work are Good fri xmas day poss boxing day and new yrs day.

Many thanks in advance

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you are legaly entitled to 28 days off per year [ technically it 5,6 weeks x number of days worked up to a maximum of 5- ie you cannot get more than 28 – well that is the minimum the company need to do they can give more if they wish

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So – just to be clear – at the moment you don’t work any bank hols, but these days come off your 28 – so you only have 20 days holiday that you can ‘choose’ when to take?

and under the new contract – you would work four or five bank hols?

in that case, yes, you would still get the other days as annual leave to use as and when (as agreed) to the statutory minimum.

has there ever been a need to work bank hols? in the event that you did under the old contract, was there any reward?

chrisa87
    Free Member

You should keep 28days of holiday, but you will get one more day to book whenever you want for every bank holiday you work.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

ulu-Eleven – Member
    So – just to be clear – at the moment you don’t work any bank hols, but these days come off your 28 – so you only have 20 days holiday that you can ‘choose’ when to take?

and under the new contract – you would work four or five bank hols?

in that case, yes, you would still get the other days as annual leave to use as and when (as agreed) to the statutory minimum.

has there ever been a need to work bank hols? in the event that you did under the old contract, was there any reward?

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    chrisa87 – Member
    You should keep 28days of holiday, but you will get one more day to book whenever you want for every bank holiday you work.

correct

dyls

Will they pay you for working the bank holidays? Or will they up your holiday entitlement to cover the lost bank holidays?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

i have no idea I would hope so !

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course they will pay you or it is not work is it

You wont loose any days or get any more money

TBH i dont rate being off on BH except the easter long weekend and Xmas

dyls

I think changes to contract terms have to be agreed, they can’t be imposed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

if you don’t agree its lets find a way to sack you 6 months down the road !

dyls

True, unless you have found a better job with better holidays in that period !

footflaps

If they can argue its essential for the business then they can just impose them AIUI or just make you all redundant and re-hire the next day on worse terms (which does happen).

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

just to clarify all I will be gaining is days off at another time which suits me/company ?

Will I get 4/5 days extra pay per year ? and the above ^

tinybits
    Free Member

Footlaps has it. With a decent business reason your contract can be changed to pretty much whatever and you’ll have to suck it up.

richi
    Free Member

yes this happened to use, basically it was nut up or shut up, you get put on your 90 days notice/consultation period then its sign it or become redundant. The only thing is unless this is just a council thing they have to make the position redundant not the person?!?!?!?! not sure the truth in this but they made some cleaners redundant then had it shoehorn in with another position, they are currently being taking to court on advise and help from the union lol

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As per footflaps, happened to me with a big national company over working patterns. had a consultation, at which I could sign new contract or be put on 90 days notice of position under that contract becoming redundant(? can’t recall exact wording used). was told that if I turned up for work on 91st day, I would be deemed to have accepted new contract. Anyway, co went into admin so never actually happened.

zokes
    Free Member

or just make you all redundant and re-hire the next day on worse terms (which does happen).

I have never understood how this is legally allowed to happen. Noone ever gets made redundant, their position does. As I understood it there needs to be a fair distinction between the old (redundant) position and the requirement to (re)hire new staff.

tmb467
    Free Member

At my place, of those 8 there’s normally three (Xmas day, Boxing Day and new year) that we have to take off

The other 5 can be worked but if we work em we get em in lieu later on

You should still end up with a minimum of 28 days hols a year

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Contract being changed being asked to work bank holidays HR Question’ is closed to new replies.