Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Continuous wear contact lenses – Any experiences…
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

I currently use daily disposables for sport.. but I’m going on a trip into the wilderness for a couple of weeks so wondering if continuous contacts would be a good idea. I’m talking about the ones you sleep in and just leave for weeks at a time. I don’t get on 100% with the dailies and part of the problem is ineptitude on my part in taking in / out the lenses; this is amplified in the back country.

Any experiences positive / negative appreciated.

root
    Free Member

I use disposables just for mtb and they are a ball ache, but tbh if was going away for an extended trip or rode my bike every single day, I would probably get prescription sunglasses/goggles for the sake of less hassle.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wearing monthlies for about 10 years now. Fit and forget, and only take them out when it’s time to put new ones in. Usual routine is taking them out at night, and then putting new ones in in the morning.

I have contact lens checks every 3-4 months at Specsavers, and so far no ill effects.

Cost is £10 a month just for the lenses, which are Bausch & Lomb Purevision and posted out every 3 months, and I get the regular check-ups thrown in for free as well.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I would probably get prescription sunglasses/goggles for the sake of less hassle.

I would do this except I’m going in winter – which means it could be as cold as -20C. Glasses are quite a pain at that temperature – fogging etc.

In the summer I have prescription lenses and they’re great.

mrchrispy

had them for about 5 years, same as Jamie but i try and take mine out for a night every week or so (probably average every other weekend).
    Great things, much more comfortable than the daily lenses I used to use.

well worth a pop.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve also used them for years and forget I’m wearing them. Try them before you go and I’d take spares and glasses just in case but they should be trouble free. Sure beat trying to take lenses out and put them in if in places where hygiene isn’t 100%

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve used them for years too, so much more comfortable than daily or monthly disposable ones, the are much more “jelly-like” so don’t dry out at all. Have to confess I wear a pair for more than a month, maybe two or even three 😳

jam-bo

I use them but mainly I take them out overnight.

I can wear them in for a couple of days but they start getting scratchy. Taken out every night I’m happy with them from 7am to 11pm whereas normal dailys start to dry out for me.

root
    Free Member

Have to confess I wear a pair for more than a month, maybe two or even three

Without being preachy you got to be careful with that, I don’t know about monthlies but dailies can give you some real problems if you leave them in too long. I would imagine monthlies would deteriorate too in some way.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I tried them and initially got on great with them. I loved being able to wake up and see without having to hunt around for my glasses but after about 5 months my eyes just stopped tolerating them completely. Eyes started getting really itchy and gunky, not an infection just some sort of reaction. Swapped back to dailies and no more problems.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll talk to my optician as seems like it might be worth trying. I’ll probably try them before the trip though first just to make sure….

Hareydan
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for the last few months after years of daily disposables, I find them much more comfortable for the first few days of the month but a bit dry after that. I just use cheap eye drops from boots though to moisten them, still works out cheaper than the daily’s. They’re great for camping and trips away!

saleem
    Free Member

I’m using the monthly leave it in jobs, eyes are full of sleep in the morning, get a sample from the optitions for the month you’re away.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Continuous wear contact lenses – Any experiences…’ is closed to new replies.