Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Continuing the run of road bike threads…
  • rkk01
    Free Member

My old school steel road bike currently runs with CB Candies – spare from the mtb toolkit.

Have never bother with proper road shoes and pedals – never felt the need to. One set of shoes (sidis) perfectly good for both.

HOWEVER, I have seen some Look Keo pedals on Wiggle and have been wondering iof they are worth bothering with

any thoughtsa from the STW Collective…?

Worth bothering with road specific pedals

and if so, what’s good for a “steel classic”

davidjey
    Free Member

As someone who used MTB pedals on the road for years and has recently crossed over, I’m still undecided as to whether it was worth it. It’s not so much the cost of pedals but the cost of shoes that I would worry about.

There is a difference – its definitely a nicer stiffer pedalling platform. The other main advantage is not wearing horrible muddy MTB shoes that look out of place on the road bike 🙂

They are more of a faff to get into than MTB pedals tho – worth bearing in mind if you commute and it’s stop/start.

mattsccm
    Free Member

My experience is that race type MTB shoes are as stiff as many road shoes. I don’t do a lot of walking so could get by with road shoes/pedals but prefer MTB shoes as the cleats last for ever and gradually the shoes get moved from “smart and Road ” to summer MTb to winter MTB with over boots.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

rkk01 – I stuck with mtb Time pedals and Spesh shoes for the cx bike, which is used for road touring etc. When getting a ‘proper road bike’ I went to Time road pedals and Spesh road shoes and they are defiantely more comfy, especially on longer rides. Also means that the road shoes stay nice and clean 😆

jota180
    Free Member

Not had any personal experience but Looks seem to have a rep for wearing out cleats rather quickly

zerocool

Look KEO pedals are brilliant between the GF and I we have 4 pairs on 4 bikes. Offer up a good platform compared to MTB non-platform Clipless. Quite a few ofthe newer shoes are compatible with both MTB and Road shoes so if you change your mind you’ve not wasted money. Road shoes suck for popping to the shops and such like but for out and out riding I recommend them over MTB everytime. I recommend buying some cleat covers if you have to walk on them as they save the cleats from dying very quickly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for look cleats dying quickly, I’ve just transfered to shimano so I can’t yet say they’re better, but I can say look are crap.

Speedplay are expensive but supposedly longest lasting as the ‘cleat’ is actualy the moving parts and therefore metal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Continuing the run of road bike threads…’ is closed to new replies.