Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Continental tyres and sealing….
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Have Conti tyres become any easier to seal for 2012? I’ve read a lot of threads with people having issues with setting them up tubeless, do want to try a set – but it’s an expensive experiment for them to fail to seal.

I’ve used a lot of different tyres tubeless, I’ve ghetto’d and now used Stans for the past 2 years; so I know what I’m doing 🙂

If it’s just a case of knowing how Contis like to be set up -i.e. scrubbing the insides, then mounting them with a tube, pushing in 100ml of stans, and washing it around…. then I’m fine with that.

Cheers for the help chaps,

Ricks

wrecker
    Free Member

Never had a problem with RQs. Used them on Flows and Crossmax SX rims. Straight up every time.

timraven

I’ve used contis for years, never had a problem. Bit of washing up liquid on the bead and a compressor 😀

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Put a Race King on the back of the SS yesterday and just used a track pump to inflate. It had lost a bit of air by this morning but that’s normal with some tyres. Although, it’s not a 2012 tyre.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Depends if you mean UST tyres or not. The pair of UST Mountain Kings I fitted a couple of weeks ago were not too bad. One went straight up, the other had to have a tube in it overnight to straighten a kink in the bead. If they are non-UST you are trying to use then they can be a pain. My Mountain King RS took quite a lot of sealant to stop air coming out out the sidewalls. A decent scrub to remove the silicon on the tyres helps too.

rickon
    Free Member

Andrew, hello 🙂 Are they non-USTs? I suppose I could talk to you later about it though.

As we’re moving to midge-land, I need something a bit stickier and a bit thicker in the sidewalls for the granite; so was thinking of going over the the dark side of Black Chilli. 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Giving the insides a scrub and a wipe with meths definetly helps them to seal. Non UST’s can take a while of pissing sealant all over the garage floor but they are worth it IMHO.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Andrew, hello Are they non-USTs? I suppose I could talk to you later about it though.

Yes, non UST

Paulio
    Free Member

2012 29er X-Kings, non-UST on Stans Crest rim: Went on and seated easily and initially stayed sealed for a day or two but then I had to add another glug of sealant before it would stay inflated longer than just over night. All fine since then though, hardly loses any air.

That probably sums up my experiences of Conti tyres on Stans actually, pretty much the same with Race Kings and Rubber Queens.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Continental tyres and sealing….’ is closed to new replies.