Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Continental Rubber Queen 2.4/2.2
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

I am about to move to tubeless and was looking at the Rubber Queen 2.2 and 2.4 UST tyres from Continental. A search of the forum has shown that a few are using this tyre but not much info on here regarding what they are like.

Apart from the weird choice of name for the tyre any thoughts?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The 2.4 is mahooooosive.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Recently made the move to tubeless myself. Was running tubed 2.35 Ignitors before, now have 2.2 Rubber Queens. The tread width on the RQs is slightly wider than the Ignitors, but the carcass is much larger, both in width (pretty much as wide as the tread) and height. The rolling resistance is very similar, but with better ‘feel’ and control on rocks and roots (the bigger casing I guess). The casing is stiff enough to prevent them rolling about on the rims even at 25psi. Grip is very impressive in the dry, both hardpack and loose, and the rain yesterday didn’t scare me too much! I don’t do a lot of pedaling or climbing, but on a short slippery tech uphill they seemed pretty good.

I hope that helps.

unsponsored
    Free Member

It does. Do your 2.2’s have the black chilli compound. Different sites seem to have conflicting statements as to whether the 2.2’s do or don’t.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

No black chilli on the 2.2s, they feel a bit softer than a mate’s LUST Ignitors (70a compound). The price reflcts this – I paid £56 for the pair.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

As already mentioned, the 2.4s are massive. The grip seems to be good in all conditions and they climb really well on technical ground.

For their size and grip they roll surprisingly well on hardpack/rocky ground but once the ground is slightly softer (wet moorland etc) they act like anchors tbh. 2.2s would be my advice if you’re getting miles in rather than big hits.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

DSC_0003" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    Here are the 2.2s in situ

Joxster
    Free Member

The 2.2’s are made in the far east and DON’T have the Black Chilli compound, Conti are looking into do a 2.2 with it in the near future. The 2.4’s have the black chilli hence the price and they are still produced in Germany.

RQSide" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    Side On

RQFront" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    Front on

RQTop" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    Rear Clearance

RQRearSide" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    Chainstay clearance

These on a Kona Coilair with Mazzi 55 ATA forks.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

DSC_0001" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />
    This shows the ‘tallness’ quite well. The 2.2s are more than enough tyre for a 5″ travel thrasher down here in the South East, I’d suggest the 2.4s are best reserved for big bikes and proper mountains 🙂

househusband

Clearance may become an issue for some bikes with the 2.4 – I know that I’d struggle with my Motolite at the rear. Good tyre; have the 2.2″ UST at the front and a 2.2″ Geax Saguaro TNT at the rear – faster rolling.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crikey they’re bloody hoooge.

Was looking at alternatives to Maxxis Ignitors, but as the 2.35’s only just fit in my chain stays I’ve got no hope with a 2.2 ‘Quees

WackoAK
    Free Member

I just fitted a 2.4UST to the front, there’s not much clearance on the Pike I have but there were no issues on the run first with it. I really did not belive the comments I’d read about them being so massive till I actually fitted it!

I’ve only tried it on fire roads and a wet, rocky trail but I’m pretty impressed so far.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Petra cycles have the 2.2 listed with black chilli and a higher price to reflect the additional compound.

househusband

The 2.2 UST Rubber Queen is not Black Chilli, as per the Continental 2009 Brochure, but the 2.4 is.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’d better email those Germans @ bike24 then…

househusband

Many shops appear to be just copying verbatim from the generic description for the tyre, not appreciating the finer points; I emailed the UK importer (Cambrian Tyres) for clarification on the matter – as have other on this very forum.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Even if you could get 2.2s with it (catalogue/website says not – yet) I wouldn’t get too hung up on the old black chilli thing if I were you. I reckon I’m quicker on my local DH-type singletrack on my Prophet on 2.2 RQs than on my Gemini on 2.5 Supertacky Highrollers. They drift a bit, but then I just pretend I’m Sam Hill (ok, with about half the speed…).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Your obsession with rubber seems stronger than mine.

*bows down*

So you gonna email them? Because they told me something different…. 😯

househusband

So you gonna email them? Because they told me something different…

I already have! But then this was back in October last year – perhaps the spec has changed since. Who told you otherwise?

Yup, have been a rubber geek at times! *hangs head in shame*

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Got mine posted to my work address. Parcel arrived clearly marked ‘Rubber Queen 2.2 UST’, a colleague signed for it – much hilarity… 😳

Emissary
    Free Member

What’s the clearance like with the 2.2 on your Prophet Dusty? I want some Rubber Queens for my Prophet for downhill days but had a feeling the 2.4’s wouldn’t fit. Pic would be great if you had one.

Joxster
    Free Member

A 2.2 fits fine on an Epic and a Stumpy if that helps

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Emissary, clearance with 2.2s is pretty good, about 5-7mm a side from memory, 2.4s might be a tad snug.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Continental Rubber Queen 2.4/2.2’ is closed to new replies.