Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Continental pure grip compound
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

It seems there are three compounds in the Continental range. I know the Black Chilli are well respected but does anyone have any experience of the “Pure Grip” middle of the range compound?

There seems to be another at the bottom of the range, assume these the terrible hard plastic no grip efforts?

fifeandy
    Free Member

The bottom of the range compound will indeed try to kill you every chance it gets.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

It seems there are no opinions on this compound. Bugger.

jameso

Pure Grip is pretty good. The bad stuff was the some of the OE tyres.

rp16v
    Free Member

ran puregrip all last year over 2 bikes has the x king 2.2 seems to be a good all round tyres unless its slimy rock which i dont think anything will really do well on

compounds go
    oem or non folding usualy about £12 avoid like an sti
    puregrip – good overall cost/performance
    racesport – uber light and fast same compound as above
    protection – tubeless ready
    apex – dh casing
    black chili – gods gift to bikes…..

now moved over to mitas tyres running the dual compound tubeless
    scylla rear and kratos front they are awwwsome and really cheap

christof
    Free Member

I have spoken with a Fisher rep who said that the Pure Grip compound is the same as the Black Chili, but as the tyres are made in Indonesia, they are not allowed to brand them as such.
    On that info, I got a pair and really rated them as much as the BC!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I don’t believe the puregrip is the same, reading between the lines of the press releases, they were trying to develop a new oem compound and stumbled across something quite good by accident.

Think its supposed to offer the same grip as BC, but without the magic that also makes it roll like lightning and have good tread-life

chiefgrooveguru

The amount of misinformation about Continental’s compounds is probably compounded by the lack of clear information from Continental. Black chili is a carbon nano particle additive. Pure grip is a compound using an activated silica. I don’t know if there are different pure grip compounds but there are many different black chili compounds, with the downhill tyres using far stickier rubber than the XC tyres.

The wear rate is so good on all the black chili tyres that they work out cheaper per mile than comparable tyres.

rp16v
    Free Member

also found the puregrips dont like going up tubeless the sidewalls threw up allover the floor.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes, not sure they do themselves any favours with how they market the compounds. Would also like to see the softer BC compounds as an option for front tyre for XC. Already a huge x-king fan, but would love a slightly softer, grippier one on the front.

rp16v
    Free Member

fifeandy – try the kratos 2.2/2.4(they come up abit small 2.2 is more of a 2.0/2.1) dual compound/tubless up front its like a minion exo 3c on grip but lower weight and xc sizeing

xanboy
    Free Member

What would a Fisher Rep know about Conti, they don’t sell them!
    Chiefgrooveguru is spot on, the compound used depends on the tyre and what it’s intended use is. Pure grip tyres are made in Conti’s Chinese factory where they make their mid range tyres. The grip will be similar to the black chilli tyres but won’t roll quite as well or last as well, but they are cheaper so it’s up to you.
    All the German made tyres are Black Chill, race sport, protection/apex tyres will be BC.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Continental pure grip compound’ is closed to new replies.