• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by 2002.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Continental Grandprix 4 Seasons
    Free Member

I ordered 2 4 seasons for my Defy 1 due to how many punchers I was getting with the Giant wire bead tyres. I fitted to first one to the rim which was tight to get on and blow it up and it looks ok but after about 5 minutes I noticed a section of about 3 inchs where the tyre was bulging right out so I let it down and tried again and the same happened again.
    I have removed it from the rim to find the bead in that place looks wrong. Could this be some thing I could have done fitting it. I have only ever used folding trye on my mtbs and never had this sort of problem.

njee20
    Free Member

Punchers you say? Sounds unpleasant. Not sure tyres will help.

Sincerely doubt that’s anything you’ve done, send them back.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

did you use levers to fit it?

PaulD
    Free Member

Send ’em back.

Get some Conti Attack + Force from bike-discount.de for £45 delivered…folding, lightweight, low-drag, grippy, relatively large (22+24mm) and easy to fit…job done.

PaulD

hounslow
    Free Member

Sounds daft but is it at the valve? If so then take the ring off the valve and push the valve back into the rim to sit the tube in correctly. Only re-fit the ring when the tube is fully inflated.

njee20
    Free Member

Force/Attack aren’t as tough though.

Free Member

I have phoned Quest bikes where my Keswick wheels came from and they have said the tyres are a very tight fit as they are hard work for them to fit in the shop. I can get the first side on ok but after the tube is in tthe tyre with a small amount of air in it I end up with about an 8 inch section I can not get any where near to going over the rim. I can see me ever getting them on if I get a flat out on the road. Looks like an expensive mistake. I can fit a new tube in about 5 minutes with the stock Giant tyres.

aP
    Free Member

Push the bead down into the well in the centre of the rim. As a help also rub talc round the inside of the tire and on the inner tube. I can get GP4Season 23s onto Campag Neutron pretty easily and they’re not the easiest of rims to mount tires to.

FuzzyWuzzy

Firstly, good choice of tyre (do not swap for force + attack, that’s a dumb call for winter riding). They are fairly tight but I can get them on with just thumbs on my rims, as aP posted, if you’re having problems then make sure the bead already on is in the well as that gives you a bit more play and don’t have much if any air already in the tube as that will stop the bead going into the well.

beej

What aP said. I use GP4 Season on Mavic cosmic carbones, dura ace c24s, DT Swiss RR415s and 450s. No problems with any of them.

Free Member

There seems to be hardly any well in these wheels and I did think about taking the rim strip off just to see if the tyre will go on then. I did try it on the rim with out a tube in it but still miles from going on. I just do not want to muck up the other tyre. I would go to Quest bikes but it is the other side of london to where I live .
    Small block 8s are a very tight fit on my MTB rims but I always get them on. I may try the tyre on the stock Giant wheel just to see if they go on them. I think I will just have to put up with the stock tyres and just carry loads of tubes and a good pump.

Free Member

I have had a go at getting the tyre on the stock defy Gaint wheels and cannot get them any where near to going on and these wheels have a deaper well so I cannot see they will ever fit the Quest wheels. From what I can see even if I can get them on indoors would I ever get a tyre off and back on on the side of the road if I get a flat. I will go in the Giant dealer near me at work and see what tyres they think might fit .

druidh
    Free Member

Assuming these aren’t 650s, it’s not the tyres. However, if you come to sell them, let me know.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems either
    Currently have them on some PX wheels, also had them on Shimano R501s and Stans recently and others in the past

njee20
    Free Member

I can fit mine on Race X Lites, CXP23s and Open Pros by hand. Not a hugely tight tyre.

asterix
    Free Member

GP4 seasons are tight but I can get them on my Shimano wheel set OK – you will need tyre levers but only takes a minute

njee20
    Free Member

Or you need better technique!

Free Member

I sent the tyre back and it was changed under warranty as I showing it to some in the local Giant dealer who said he thought it was a manufacturing problem not some thing I had done and after talking to some one who gave me a few pointers what I might be doing wrong I have now got the tyres on the rims ok .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Continental Grandprix 4 Seasons’ is closed to new replies.