Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Continental Baron – any good?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i’m after a new set of tyres but on a bit of a restricted budget due to needing a few other bits too
    saw the Barons are going pretty cheap online and the reviews seem to be ok
    has anyone used them and are they any good?

sazter

I use one on the rear at the mo, and like it, I am 11st ish, my riding buddy who recommended it is a bit bigger and heavier and does not like it, so if you’re relatively light yourself you should be fine. Mine is the cheapy cheap halfrauds one.

andybrad

can you get the black chilli ones cheap?

warpcow
    Free Member

Black chili ones are ‘amazeballs’, I think is the correct nomenclature. Non black chili Conti tyres are about as far from that as you can get though.

Northwind

As long as they’re black chili, they’re fantastic wet weather tyres, ie winter all rounders. Best on the front. If they’re not, I’ve not used them but I’d bet 10p they’re terrible, conti can’t make tyres without posh rubber.

thekettle
    Free Member

They come up narrow for a 2.3, narrower than a 2.2 Rubber Queen/Trail King. I put one on the back and wrote it off (along with the rim) in it’s first ride. Would re-consider if I rode somewhere slippery with minimal rocks as the compound,tread and narrowness make it good in soft terrain.

sazter

^^ related to that I have only used it on a muddy, slippy hill with 6 inches of slop, slush, ice and muck. I have other tyres for rocky terrain.. I might die when I take this out elsewhere, who knows?! 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

the ones i’m looking at are the standard wired versions. everyone seems to be selling them for around £15 a tyre. but i’m wondering if this makes them great value or they’re cheap for a reason
    my current tyres on the bike are a pair of Maxxis ignitors 2.35. they’re a summer tyre and are useless in the wet…my other tyres are a pair of Panaracer Fire FR 2.4. these are the normal default tyres i tend to use most of the year round. i like how they ride and handle but the problem is that since changing frame there isnt enough room to fit the rear tyre on so the Baron would be running as a rear with the panaracer up front.
    my other option is to get a maxxis high roller 2.35 at the rear

which one would be better? ideally i need this tyre to usable all year round and on all types of terrain (moon on a stick i know)

bigjim

you don’t want a baron on the back all year round, I’ve got a pair on at the moment and will probably take the rear off, it is draggy as hell and pings around when its rocky.

gonzy
    Free Member

bigjim – is it better as a front then? and maybe a high roller on the back?

bigjim

yeah I love them on the front, mine is on from october to may pretty much. black chilli though.

austy
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget seriously check out specialized tyres. I have some purgatorys 2.3″ dual compound used them everywhere are holding up well. These were £30 each.

Heard good things about the butcher tyre too but never tried it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As above, buy only the black chili compound and they are better as a front IMO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Continental Baron – any good?’ is closed to new replies.