Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Conti tyres – OEM? Have I been had?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Just replaced a Conti GP 4 seasons with what I thought was an identical tyre from a well known online retailer. However, the sidewall has red painted on cross hatching rather than a sort of rubberised ‘checkerboard’ finish, and the tread doesn’t feel the same as the one which I had originally.

They assure me it is identical, but it doesn’t feel the same and it doesn’t look the same. So how can it be the same? I don’t get it.

Does anybody know, are they **** me over or have Conti just changed the design at some point?

warns74
    Free Member

I have no idea about these tyres or road tyres in general but a quick image search on google threw up several of the tyre with red hatching on the sidewalls….

hatter

The legit aftermarket 4 seasons should have ‘Made in Germany’ on the side of them.

If they have that you’re good.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would be tempted to phone the importer/ distro. they should give you definative advice, and advice which the shop should heed.

which i think is madison

MrSmith
    Free Member

which i think is madison

there is more than one importer. i.e Cambrian.

njee20
    Free Member

The ones I’ve always had have always had red ‘threads’ showing on the sidewall. Wouldn’t say it it looks painted on though.

spyke85
    Free Member

I seriously doubt you’ve ‘been had’. Nothing wrong with using OEM, unless you like cardboard boxes to put in the bin!

retro83
    Free Member

Okay thanks all. I’m not normally against OEM as long it’s the same spec (or at least I know what is different before I buy). It was the fact that these feel and look different that threw me off. I thought they might be a worse spec of rubber like the non-black-chilli Conti mtb tyres you used to get cheaply online.

These both have the “Made in Germany” decal so I guess it’s just a change of design at some point. Actually I can’t even find a pic of the black sidewalled ones online, so maybe that is the one I should be questioning…

Anyway cheers everyone

jamj1974

It’s a good question IMO. Some OEM tyres fitted to new bikes are absolutely dreadful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some OEM tyres fitted to new bikes are absolutely dreadful.

Indeed. A bit like the difference between “normal” and Black Chilli versions. OEM tyres are often shittily made to a low budget to get a name on there. It’s not just about the packaging….

climbingkev
    Free Member

As per njee…”red thread”. I’d say they’re legit, unless the feel “way off”. Pressure, greasy roads etc maybe got you overthinking the feel?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have just bought a pair of GP 4 seasons online and they came without packing but with a plastic strap around them. They seem to have all the correct markings. I did question the supplier as to whether they were OEM (which could have been had from an alternative dealer for £7 a tyre less)and was told they were aftermarket but bought in bulk from Conti. and were supplied like that I haven’t ridden on them yet so can’t comment on feel. Incidentally I also bought some Conti tubes from another dealer and they had all the packaging. Not sure now.

jameso

You can spec German made BC Conti tyres as OE.

timba
    Free Member
    dknwhy

I’m with the OP on this – i’d like to know whether the tyre I was buying was OEM or not.
    I used to work for a rubber manufacturer (Sava) who produced tyres for Good Year. Different factory, different compound but labelled up as the leading brand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Conti tyres – OEM? Have I been had?’ is closed to new replies.