Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Conti tyres: how far below the silly recommended pressure do you run yours?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Trail king 2.4, apex sidewalls, 1kg tyre (in 29 at least), recommended pressure… 50psi? Max 65.

Schwalbe equivalent would be the Hans Dampf Super Gravity, rated 23-50psi. Admittedly slightly heavier.

Across the board though, conti recommended pressures are ridiculously high for trail riding. In the case above, what’s the point of apex sidewalls if you’re not running them low enough to need pinch protection?

So does anyone know why they recommend such high pressures? And how low do you run yours?

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I tend to run between 20-30 psi depending on conditions. Rubber Queen/Trail King in 26 and 27.5 going back several years now. They would be really shite at 50 psi thats for sure.

PeteG55
    Free Member

22-3 front and 2ish rear MK2 2.4 27.5. Great all rounder.

chiefgrooveguru

I see one of their sponsored riders runs 27/28 psi:

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331672370190/dan-atherton-enduro-bike-check-setup

It’s truly bizarre, I can only assume it’s a legal thing due to the greater risk of tyres coming off the wheel at lower pressures.

I run low 20s front, mid 20s rear on Conti Protections/UST. I’ll drop another 25% when it’s really greasy.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Apologies for the slight tangent/hi-jack, ‘sideshow’, could you tell me where you got those tyres from, can’t find the 2.4 in a 29’er anywhere?

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m not sure I can either. Is this it? doesn’t mention black chili – really hard to tell!
    http://www.highonbikes.com/wheels-tyres/tyres-mtb/continental-trail-king-29-mtb-tyre-folding.html?gclid=CIDUo8La7sYCFQHkwgod-_MHmw

stumpy01

The Mountain King on the front of my Inbred recommends 50psi, but I normally have it around 30psi. I should probably try it one day at 50psi just to see what it is like, but I suspect it will be rubbish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Conti tyres: how far below the silly recommended pressure do you run yours?’ is closed to new replies.