Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Conti tyre set up.
  • greenstix7
    Free Member

I’m thinking of running a 2.4 X king on the front and a 2.2 on the back, is this madness or should I go for 2 X 2.2 (front and rear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

yorkshire89
    Free Member

That’s fine, I do the same.

Make sure you get the protection version, the standard conti tyres seem to puncture all the time.

nikk
    Free Member

The 2.4 come up narrower than 2.4.

I run 2.4 both ends on a hardtail, works well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toronte
    Free Member

It’s the mountain kings that are narrow. X-king is a different casing. I’d say 2,4 is too much for an XC/allround tire. Adds quite a bit of unnecessary weight as well. If I needed something more grippy for the front I’d look at either MK or RQ/TK. If you choose the MK however take into account that they are narrower.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I currently run 2.4 front and 2.2 rear RQ Black Chilli and they are teh orsumz.

greenstix7
    Free Member

Thanks all,
    Yeah, I’ve got the Protection versions, bought a Mountain King in supersonic form, but think it’s too lightweight.
    It’s a Yeti 575 and my main bike, so should work out fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Good riding, hope it perks up a bit weather wise too!

Cheers

Yak

Not madness – that’s fine.
    Even nicer with a 2.2 race king on the back. A bit more volume and a touch faster and ensures the back has less grip than the front.

nikk
    Free Member

No, the X-king Contis come up narrow as well, and it depends of the exact version you get:

X-King Racesport 2.4 29er – 2.310″ wide, 2.225″ high (from rim edge)

X-King Protection 2.4 29er – 2.205″ wide, 2.137″ high (from rim edge).

Mountain King II Protection 2.4 29er – 2.275″ wide, 2.228″ (from rim edge).

All latest versions, all measured by myself.

I’d say 2,4 is too much for an XC/allround tire. Adds quite a bit of unnecessary weight as well.

60 grams extra wight per tyre. I prefer the extra volume and grip.

If I needed something more grippy for the front I’d look at either MK or RQ/TK.

MK is 100 grams more per tyre. TK is 300 grams more per tyre. And both are slower rolling than the XK. However, I wouldn’t recommend the XK for this weather, better MK for general use IMHO this time of year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Conti tyre set up.’ is closed to new replies.