• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Conti Trail King in 2.4 – any experience of them?
  • wl
    Free Member

Thinking about these tyres for my P7, riding rocky, rooty and steep stuff – as well as 30-mile loops – often in the wet. Anyone know what these tyres are like? I had the Rubber Queens on my Five and liked them, but they were 2.2 and 26″. Are the 2.4s massive? Do they roll ok? Will they work ok on the back of a hard tail? And which version is best? Currently on a 2.3 Minion 3C and High Roller but looking for something a bit easy to pedal. Running tubeless on Easton Arc 27 rims. Ta for any tips.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You want the protection and even that’s a bit fragile TBH i liked them better with tubes. They’re BIG but grip forever on everything except slop.

thered

I’ve used mine at Antur, BPW but mostly around Cannock.

The grip’s excellent mostly, best I’ve known until it gets muddy, then they’re poor.

The downsides are that they’re very porous so are difficult to get to stay inflated, the sidewalls are also flimsy especially the 2.2’s so will deform on big hits and stay deformed, I’ve had 2 go back under warranty in less than a year cos of this.

They are also massive.

nickc

I used tubeless ready 2.4 TK for ages on a series of HT. They’re pretty good on everything apart from slimy mud where they were entertainingly bad. They roll pretty well, they’re not massively massive, but yeah they are 2.4 after all.Personally didn’t find them any more fragile than any other tyres, and didn’t have the deforming issue that thered had 😯 which sounds pretty bad!

takisawa2

Had 2.2 wire beads on my Five when I bought it. Had no issuess.
    The Mary / Dampf combo I have now is way better though.

timidwheeler

I used the 2.2s for a couple of years and always really liked them. This year I went to 2.4s (Only because I found them on offer).

I didn’t notice them being anymore draggy. They are good all rounders. The 2.4s are fractionally less bad on wet mud and I find them pretty good on wet roots. I’ve got the black chili/protection versions. They were a pain to get up but haven’t needed to come off since. I’ve not had a puncture in nearly three years of using black chili trail kings. I’ve used them for all types of riding including multiple weeks in the Alps.

sillyoldman

The Apex Protection ones are great in all but sloppy mud.

br
    Free Member

I found that they were very pressure sensitive, too little and they split at the bead – too much and they weren’t worth the cost (Black Chilli versions).

Ended up going back to HR2’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Conti Trail King in 2.4 – any experience of them?’ is closed to new replies.