Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Conti Speed and Mountain King worth a punt ?
  • oldfart

On One are doing both at £22 for 3!!!!!!!! folding and all .probably wouldn't go with Mtn King as it's 2.4 but Speed is 2.1.Thought i'd read that they were a bit sketchy ?But at that price ?

firestarter
    Free Member

i was gonna order 2 so i got six but the price was before vat and 15 quid postage so im not gonna bother. ive heard they arent all that anyway 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use 2.4 kings and think they are excellent. They need a fair bit of pressure. I run at 40 psi, less than that was sketchy. I was going to get rid but thought I'd try them near the manufacturers recommendation first, no problems since.

I also have race kings and like them too (in the dry).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crispybacon
    Free Member

if I was going to buy some Conti SK or MK again then I'd go for the tougher Protection version, the other non-protection version are light but are fragile IMHO.

oldfart

15 squid postage !!! thought there was catch cheers .

firestarter
    Free Member

well it was 15 for selecting two tyres that meant 6 in all but steep non the less

firestarter
    Free Member

forget the vat thing im talking rubbish lol. not a bad price tbh even with postage but im gonna stick with what i know

akira

Have found the standard Conti tyres have quite thin side walls, also the more expensive 2.4s are Black Chilli so a bit grippier, not a bad price but not for me.

munkster
    Free Member

Only the Protection and Supersonic ones are Black Chilli AFAIK – not the standard folding ones on the On One site…

Surfr
    Free Member

I have speed king supersonics for 24 hour races and moutain king protections for local dyfi enduro type riding. Run them at 45psi and 14 stone. Both great Tyres for their intended purposes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Speed Kings I got on fine with, I've chosen the cross version to race on this year.
    No experience of Mountain Kings.

[also have race kings and like them too (in the dry).]
    Me to.
    That last bit really does need highlighting, I suggest going home on them if it rains. Rib-Busters I call them.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

had 2.4 mountain kings on for a while and ok at dry trails or trail centre type kitty litter but terrible in mub / wet conditions. I would avoid them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Both great Tyres for their intended purposes

I agree with that.

Our own experience with MK2.2 was unhappy. We tried a test Orange 5pro on a semi-muddy day and struggled with both straight-lines and cornering. A riding buddy then bought a P7 with them on. On the inaugural ride in dry conditions, he got 5 punctures – 2 thorns and 3 pinches including one that exploded the tube. I think Orange may have stopped supplying bikes with them.

steviep
    Free Member

My Orange Alpine came with mountain kings and I have had to junk the front one after only a couple of rides it was quite frankly awful.Put a high roller on the front and totally transformed the bike. Have left MK on the back only because I dont mind the back end drifting and sliding.

heihei

2.4" MK's rubbish in the wet imho. 2.2" Rubber Queens come up the same size and are far better tyres – again imho!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Conti Speed and Mountain King worth a punt ?’ is closed to new replies.