Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Conti Race King performance 29er – Any joy tubeless?
  • vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

So running a pair of the above as I have a muddy Duathlon in a few weeks and wanted a bit more pace on the 29er,

Thus far been impressed with the tyre for XC – roles fast and been ok even in reasonable deep mud. Little sketchy on the front but was to be expected.

Can’t get them to inflate tubeless though. Anyone managed?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Don’t you need the ProTection version to set up tubeless? I have a pair of these for when my Racing Ralphs wear down and I’ll be setting them up tubeless.

sillyoldman

Both the Pure Grip and protection versions are tubeless ready, and the now discontinued UST option is also tubeless compatible obviously.

Is yours a Pure Grip version?

mccraque

I mounted one on a stans arch rim

Wasn’t tight enough to initially seal so I gave it an extra lap of yellow tape. Bang. Up she popped first time.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Yip it’s pure grip version – didn’t want to spend the extra £££ for a maybe use once/occasionally product. Although to be fair I’ve quite enjoyed the pace and comparatively effortless on the climbs.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Mccraque they are a little slack on the rims so will try another lap of rim tape.

Ta

mccraque

success?

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Haven’t tried it yet, load of jobs this weekend to do on the bike so will tackle it then. (After riding). 2 bottle of IPA and smooth rock on in the garage, happy days

nedrapier

re: carcass/ sidewalls. I’ve got the lightest “RaceSport” Mountain Kings. Thought I’d try tubeless but didn’t hold out much hope. Bit of initial weeping between rim and bead, but nothing through the sidewalls.

soulwood
    Free Member

I had some trail kings, went up tubeless fine on Arch rims, took 3 weeks to stop losing air and seal properly then I got a rear puncture that wouldn’t seal and ended up with the biggest and hardest tyre wrestle I have ever experienced in over 20 years of biking to put a tube in. Sold them and got something else.

mintimperial

I’ve run a normal, non-Protection 2.2 Race King 29er tyre tubeless just fine, also Trail King and X-King. Like most Contis you usually need to slosh some extra sealant in there at the start to fully seal the sidewalls, and you’ll need to top them up with air for a while cos they do leak a tiny bit at first, but they seal ok soon enough. One layer of tape was fine for me, I do almost always use an AirShot nowadays though, which helps get awkward tubeless tyres to set up nice and fast.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Still not up, but to be fair was two busy riding/changing the group set (fleabay bargain) biggest problems been air flow to get beads to seat properly. Giving the garden sprayer a bash see it that helps pop it up (£60 for a airshots doesn’t make sense to me although they do look cool).

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

£5.99 garden sprayer from home bargains (5ltr). Seated tire nicely 1st time. Still up so I’m now happy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Conti Race King performance 29er – Any joy tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.