• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Conti Protection – carcass deformation
  • adsh
    Free Member

Are Conti’s particularly prone to deformation? In the last two XC rides I’ve destroyed a 2.4 Mountain King Protection and today a 2.4 X King protection 🙁

Both were at 20psi on the front – because of their beefiness they ride the same at this as a rocket ron does at 26psi.

The MK grabbed the side of rut on a downhill corner at slow speed and then dumped me (pilot error), The Xking was ridden into a dip too hard with some turn on and lost grip with that brief loud noise of tyre under load.

Both now have substantial deviation from the centre – they will just about turn in a pair of forks.

User error and consequence of low pressure or poor design?

br
    Free Member

How wide a rim have you?

chiefgrooveguru

Faulty tyre – I’ve heard they usually replace them under warranty.

svalgis
    Free Member

I’ve had this too with MK2 Protection, front got deformed to the point where it touched both the right and left lowers when I tried to spin it, after hitting a root a little clumsily but not enough to even bottom out the fork. They’re also the most snakebite prone tyres I’ve ever used and since moving to where there’s more technical trails and becoming a bit more aggressive I find them completely unusable. I weigh about 10 stone and am not a “hit everything straight on” type of rider. If it works for you, except for the deformation, then by all means continue to use it. I really liked them apart from being too weak.

I never tried to warranty the deformed tyre but I suggest you do.

adsh
    Free Member

Mounted on Crests. Think the new Spearfish is allowing me to carry more speed into corners.

Bought from ze Germans……….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Conti Protection – carcass deformation’ is closed to new replies.