Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Conti Mountain King II opinions?
  • neninja
    Free Member

How have people found the mk2 Mountain Kings?

I’ve just started using 2.2 MK Racesport Black Chilli (about 30-35psi) on the rear that replaced a 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo (which I really liked but got a good deal on the MK). I really rate the 2.2 Rubber Queen on the front as it’s predictable and grips so well.

Is it just me that’s found the Mountain King 2 sphincter twitchingly unpredictable? It seems to let go constantly when leant over – occassionally it’s a predictable drift but usually not. It’s always when the bike is in the transition between leant over and upright. There seems to be a big gap between the centre knobs and those at the edge.

Is it just me? I’m just a steady rider who has fun but no pretentions of being anything other than average. Certainly not someone who slams the bike on it’s side in an instant which I get the feeling is the way they have to be ridden.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have used the 2.2 Protection black chili MK2s front and rear for more than six months and found them really predictable in all conditions.

Mine were 25psi-ish both ends, so quite a difference to you. I suppose I have been trying to corner harder, especially since my previous tyres absolutely demanded that – but I’m certain I’d have noticed if the MK2s had a blind spot.

Strange your experience is so different.

nickc

Had one in the front, which was grippy enough, but v draggy. Wouldn’t put one on the back. Tubless at 2.0 bar (ish)

neninja
    Free Member

Maybe I need to drop the pressure.

I never had this feeling with the Nobby Nics which were also run at 30-35psi. Perhaps I need to try to get the bike over more aggresively which is tricky when you don’t have confidence in the tyres. Chicken and egg.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Had one at the back for a couple of weeks, but a flint tore a 1″ gash in the side and I’ve not gotten round to bodging a repair.

I replaced it with a Black Chili 2.2 Rubber Queen and aside from having more grip at the back (natch), I’ve noticed that the bike rolls better…I might just repair the MK and put it on the front of a bike with a spare X-King at the back.

In short, the sidewalls aren’t strong enough.

dibboid
    Free Member

I had a 2.4 split on the bead and it wasn’t that old. I think it pinched between the rim and the surface of the fire road. so had to drain the the stans out and put a tube in for the rest of the ride. Got a 2.4 protection version on there now. Will see how that goes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Conti Mountain King II opinions?’ is closed to new replies.