Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Conti M-King / X-King Protection : sealant probs?, leaky as a rats bladder?
  • somafunk

Allo,

Tried to fit my Conti Mountain King 2.4 & Conti X-king Protection 2.4 tyres last night to my new wheels (crest rims) with Stans no-tubes tire sealant and followed the instructions as printed on the back of the stans bottle : used two capfuls of sealant (120g) and whilst the tyres inflated easily enough with a track pump the so called Protection sidewalls that are reputed and advertised as tubeless compatible seem to be anything but, tried an extra 60g of sealant inside and inflated with Air compressor (i may have pi$$ed of my neighbours – must remember to apologise today) to 60 psi and sat for ages spinning them as i watched little white beads of tyre sealant leak out and splat against my wall,sofa,monitor,face etc, wandered through to living room earlier this morning and they’re flat, not holding air for any length of time.

Anyone else successfully sealed these tyres with sealant?, i’ve ran tubeless for years on many tyres whether that be UST or normal bead and never had a pair as leaky as this?.

Yeah…yeah….I should’a bought the Schwalbe Hans Dampf i know – i’ve pretty much exclusively used Schwalbe for years but fancied a change, and the weight put me off. These are sold and advertised as tubeless ready on Conti’s website, if i can’t get these sealed they’ll be on the classifieds later as i don’t run tubes.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Rubber Queen Protection’s and had the same issue. I put two cup fulls in and did the shake and spin thing. Pumped them up to about 60psi to seal the bead. Overnight it went flat. So, took the valve core out and put another cup full in and did the same and it seems to have worked.

MSP

They took a couple of weeks worth of riding to seal up properly for me, even after cleaning the release agent out beforehand, they are a good tyre now, but I don’t think I could be bothered going through that process again.

somafunk

Ahhh…. turds in a bucket…..I forgot to clean off the release agent first……..Good call MSP, i’ll try again later t’night.

smett72

I’ve had the same experiences as everyone else with my X-Kings. Only seemed to make progress after I’d ridden on them a couple of times.

Janesy
    Free Member

Mine have gone up pretty much from day one. although I did clean the tyre first.

I have a 26 2.4 used once for sale. too large for the SIDS. any offers?

stimpy
    Free Member

I got my X-King and Race King (protection sidewalls) up first time, but cleaned the tyre well before to get rid of release agent. And it needed a compressor (unlike my RaRa/NN combo which both went up on just a trackpump).

somafunk

Decided my tyres were more important than going into work, i’m telling them to stick their job up their f-eckin ar$e t’day anyway so i’m all good n’ happy and straight into a job in my mates bike shop – woohoo!, see right wing nutters thread for reasons why if you’re bored.

Washed the sealant out in the bath (one of the benefits of living alone eh?) and scrubbed with fairy liquid and one of those green scoury type pads and refitted one tyre so far and it seems to be better, still leaking a bit but the sealant seems to be working now rather than spraying gloop everywhere so i may stick a shed load of sealant in and sit n’ spin it for a while then remove as much sealant as i can and re-inflate with 100ml inside. Should work, fingers crossed, we’ll see.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

My Mountain Kings sealed up fine but I had similar issues when I fitted my X-Kings recently, like the others it took a couple of rides to seal up properly. On my first ride with them I had to re-inflate halfway round. They are fine now though, holding air v well.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Mine went up fine first time but would deflate over night. Did lots of shaking, spinning and leaving over a bucket and after a couple of rides they were perfect. My sidewalls weren’t porous at all really, think I only saw one or two white bubbles.

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a RQ front and x-king rear, the x-king sealed up first time, the RQ took a lot of shaking the Stan’s around and a few rides but it’s fine now. Much prefer this combo to my old Nobby nics

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Conti M-King / X-King Protection : sealant probs?, leaky as a rats bladder?’ is closed to new replies.