Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Conti GP4000S – thread peeling off?
  • kevin1911

I’ve had a pair of Conti GP4000S tyres fitted to my winter bike for about 3 years now, and have noticed that there seems to be ‘thread’ peeling off the sidewalls just above where the tyres go into the rim.

Does this mean it’s time to replace them, or is it nothing to worry about?

The actual contact surface is hardley worn.

Cheers,
    Kevin

toemul
    Free Member

had the same on mine didn’t seem to make any difference great tyres the rear on mine must have lasted 5000 miles before it got a cut in the sidewall nowhere near where the thread came away front still good.

mikey.b
    Free Member

Same as mine after looking on internet decided not worry too much about it and carry on riding.

Northwind

Not GPs, but I’ve had that with my Conti Barons, so maybe it’s just a conti thing? I’m choosing to ignore it because I’m tight.

roverpig

Yes, same here. I bought a new set, but haven’t bothered putting them on yet and probably wont until the current ones actually break.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

First thing – check your brake blocks aren’t riding over the top of the rim sidewall (either through wear or poor alignment) and contacting/wearing the carcass of the tyre when the brakes are applied.

kevin1911

Thanks – that’s reassuring 🙂 I got horrible visions of impending doom when descending at 40mph last night ❗

kevin1911

good point Bristolbiker – I’ve not checked that for a while

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Actually, thinking about this a little more, I have had Gatorskins do do as you describe but have hapilly carried on until the tread surface died, so I may just be scare-mongering 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

First thing – check your brake blocks aren’t riding over the top of the rim sidewall (either through wear or poor alignment) and contacting/wearing the carcass of the tyre when the brakes are applied.

I’ve had the loose thread thing on a couple of sets of Conti 4000 and my first thought was this. But having checked the pads were not right on the edge of the rims it doesn’t appear to be the cause.

samuri
    Free Member

Same here. When they get really old that seems to happen but doesn’t cause any obvious problems.

Edric64
    Free Member

Old Gp 3000s did that thread peeling thing ,im still using them !

tonyd

I have gatorskins on my bike that have been doing the same for the last 2000 miles or so, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Conti GP4000S – thread peeling off?’ is closed to new replies.