Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Conti Barons
  • philfive
    Free Member

how tall are continental Barons 2.2 compared to rubber queens? the rubber queens didn’t allow enough clearance on the rear and i was wondering if Barons are the same?

i currently use 2.35 Advantages and Swampthings on the rear and these fit fine.

cheers in advance.

mboy
    Free Member

A guy I was riding with on Saturday was running 2.3″ Barons. They were noticably smaller than my 2.2″ Rubber Queen. Go figure what Conti are up to, but that’s the way it is! FWIW, the 2.3″ Baron was still a sizeable tyre, just a little smaller than the 2.2″ RQ. Like the look of them actually, as a not full on mud tyre but UK “summer” 😉 tyre they might work well…

philfive
    Free Member

yeah i have seen them in the flesh and they do seem to be smaller than a rubber queen but i’m just not sure. £40 for a tyre that is too tall is a waste of money and now Maxxis no longer make swampthings i’m stumped.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The Barons are a little smaller than the Rubber Queens. Width across the knobs is similar but the casing itself is a little smaller and they aren’t so tall.

Northwind

I sized them up, they came up about 2.25 across the knobs IIRC on a DT540 (ie sensibly wide trail rim). I’ve got a height measurement at home, if you drop me an email on andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk to remind me I’ll check it.

They are bloomin brilliant in black chili, incidentally.

shredder
    Free Member

Just fitted one to the front at the weekend replacing a RQ 2.2 which I had F&R as said similar width but not as tall as the RQ.
    Still have RQ on rear the Baron was superb at weekend just biting that bit more than the RQ.
    Taking nothing away from the RQ’s as also brilliant.
    Tyres on Flows and in Chilli flavour

Northwind

Ok, I looked up my nerd-tastic tyre-measuring list and on my 540, the Baron measured 74.2mm tall and 57.91mm wide at its widest point (2.28 inches wide) That makes it a pretty averagey 2.3 I reckon- smaller than a 2.4 Advantage (81mm tall, there is no 2.35 Advantage surely?) and smaller than a Swampthing 2.35 (74.72mm tall)

Hope this helps some…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Conti Barons’ is closed to new replies.