• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rj.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Contents insurance…what are you paying??
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

I know it depends allot on where you live and in what you live in but was wondering what your thought are on the following.

I live in a one bedroom brick and tile roof bungalow in Berkshire outside Windsor. For contents insurance through M&S with accidental damage, no claims protection and protection away from home I am looking at £345 a year for their premium cover.

Sounds OK could be cheaper I guess but am I getting ripped off??

What is everyone else paying?

br
    Free Member

Well less than half that for 3 bed detached in Bucks with the same kind of cover (but not sure what 'protection away from home' is?) and including all-risks on sporting equipment (gear, not bikes).

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Protection away from home means if i go riding in spain and brake my bike or camera they will replace it. Who are you insured through?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£200 for a flat in Edinburgh. Top floor flat tho. Contents plus all risks and away from home M&S

Kit
    Free Member

My M&S contents cover went from about £170 a year to over £400 when I moved flats in Edinburgh. Same cover, different area. Current contents is about £240 with Greenbee, and includes bikes away from home.

Apparently the jack up in price is due to problems with subsidence in the area I live in (although how this affects contents, instead of building, I'm not sure). May also be because I live in an affluent area where more insurance claims are made…

MikeG

Is that a new quote or renewal?
    I was quoted £440 for renewal last month, 3 bed semi in leicestershire, premier buildings and contents but no emergency cover £150 xs.
    On line new business quote was £300 for comparable cover or £350 with everything and no voluntary xs, even taking the 20% discount thats still cheaper.
    I phoned to haggle on the renewal quote and was told that they would not change it but they had no problem with me letting the old policy lapse and me taking a new policy out on the same day!

spooky_b329

Mine is a fair bit cheaper, but I do stick the voluntary excesses up a bit to discourage myself from claiming for small stuff. I probably wouldn't claim unless one of the 'nice' bikes was nicked or I had a break-in/fire.

trail_rat
    Free Member

312 for a 1 bed flat for M&S inc away from home and accidental damage – i live in an ok area of aberdeen flanked by shit areas – northfield , mastrick and woodside are my three neighbours !

doug_basqueMTB.com

I used to be about £40 a month with M&S. The best policy that meant if I broke my bike in azerbaijan while trying a double back flip cliff drop then they would replace it. Lived in a 2 bedroom top floor flat with dodgy locks and a flat roof infront of the windows in a part of Glasgow which was probably considered high risk.

Big-M
    Free Member

Warrenpfo – Member
    I know it depends allot on where you live and in what you live in but was wondering what your thought are on the following.

I live in a one bedroom brick and tile roof bungalow in Berkshire outside Windsor. For contents insurance through M&S with accidental damage, no claims protection and protection away from home I am looking at £345 a year for their premium cover.

Sounds OK could be cheaper I guess but am I getting ripped off??

What is everyone else paying?

Seems pretty reasonable, what level of contents cover is that for?

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

It is unlimited for any single item under £4000 in value. My xs is £50 but perhaps i should bump that up to £100 or £150 as making a claim for an item with a value of £100 makes no sence unless you are cleaned out by a brakein.

rj
    Free Member

About £150 a year for a 2 bed flat in Glasgow with the Halifax. Includes cover for my bike while it's in the flat and mobile phone cover.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Contents insurance…what are you paying??’ is closed to new replies.