Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Contemporary Classical Musical Recommendations?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Not usually my thing, but been in Aus listening to a Radio 4-esque radio station and they played quite a bit of modern classical stuff (yes I should have written names down but I was driving!)

So – any recommendations? Particularly like minimalist, piano or string stuff, but happy to be guided…

Thanks

AdamW
    Free Member

There’s Philip Glass, obvously. Very minimalist and hypnotic. His piano works are quite good.

corroded
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RichPenny
    Free Member

Phillip Glass, as mentioned. John Cage’s prepared piano stuff is very interesting, although makes more impact if you can see it live. Also a big fan of Steve Reich.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

One of my favourite artists, who may be right up your street, is Ludovico Einaudi. Not really full on classical, but beautiful piano and string pieces.

aP
    Free Member

Gorecki
    Malcolm Arnold
    bit older modern – Britten, Walton, Vaughan Williams

metalheart
    Free Member

Steve Reich (Music for 18 Musicians is my favourite)
    Arvo Part (Miserere, Tabula Rasa & Fratres)
    Gorecki
    Stephen Scott (Music for bowed piano)

fraid my likes are of the minimalist persuasion

nickc

Michael Nyman

RudeBoy
    Free Member

As soon as I read the title, I thought of Phillip Glass. Get hold of a copy of Koyaanisqatsi, bung it on, and sit back and chill out…

johnhoo
    Free Member

I’ve heard that, while his pop music post-Beatles is mostly cr@p, Paul McCartney’s classical stuff is supposed to be quite good. Allegedly. I can’t confirm that though, as I think I’ve only heard one piece once

vdubber67
    Free Member

Brilliant suggestions – thanks folks. Know a little Seve Reich already through work colleagues, and had forgotten I knew about Mr Glass…will work my way through the recommendations..

Cheers again!

MrsTricky
    Free Member

If you like Michael Nyman’s music, try Ludovico Einaudi – his stuff is absolutely amazing – there’s quite a bit on youtube. I discovered him on ClassicFM last year and now listen to very little else.

MrsT

IHN

Karl Jenkins, Palladio

Ignore, the pics, I love the music

IHN

RustySpanner

Try something by John Tavener. ‘The Protecting Veil’ is a personal favourite.
    Not exactly minimalist, but incredibly moving.

Samuel Barber is another one to try – you’ll have heard Adagio for Strings
    from the Platoon soundtrack, but the violin concerto and Essays for an Orchestra are both superb.

Give Cornelius Cardew a go if you fancy a bit of a challenge. Like most of these people, a very interesting character as well!

IHN

If you’re trying Barber, also try Copland and, of course Gershwin – Rhapsody i Blue is my favourote piece of classical music.

zaskar
    Free Member

Classic FM

Love classical music!

Plus the movie scores show can be interesting for those not into classical music but enjoy the themes.

Tricone
    Free Member

Iannis Xenakis is the man. Fascinating life story and music like a ‘force of nature’. Try something like Metastasis as an early work and good intro.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Contemporary Classical Musical Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.