• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Contaminated Pads – What shall I clean my rotors with?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

My new pads are goosed! Lots of black all over my discs and a squeel that would wake a county!! The caliper and pads have all been sorted just want to make sure I get it off the rotor. What shall I use?

wwaswas

running them through the dishwasher has been a popular one in the past.

Bicycle (not car/mbike) disk brake cleaner or meths would be good – anyhtign that doesn’t leave an oily residue basically.

grum
    Free Member

Isopropyl alcohol – I got a bottle for not much off ebay, couldn’t think where to get it from locally. Muc-off do a disk brake cleaner which is probably the same thing for more money.

Bicycle (not car/mbike) disk brake cleaner

I’ve used the Muc Off motorbike disk brake cleaner without problems – why would leaving an oily residue be ok on a motorbike’s disks?

Skyliner
    Free Member

What about some paint thinner? Only thing I’ve got that smells strong like meths and evaporates. They have plasticky centres so dont know if they are dishwasher safe. (rt76 model)

wwaswas

why would leaving an oily residue be ok on a motorbike’s disks?

because they get a lot hotter in use and it burns off.

grum
    Free Member

I’m still not convinced, surely it would be better for any type of cleaner not to leave an oily residue on disks. Like I say, I used the motorbike version without issues.

mooose
    Free Member

Isopropyl alcohol. Never found a need to buy ‘fancy disc brake cleaner products’ when IPA does the job fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Some car (dunno about motorbike) disc brake cleaners contain additives to stop discs rusting. Can cause issues on MTBs as they don’t get hot enough.

Then again, swan’s can break your arm, do you know anyone who’s had their arm broken by a swan!?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Use Lard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nail varnish remover.

Have a sniff while you’re at it, you won’t care too much about brakes then.

retro83
    Free Member

grum – Member

I’m still not convinced, surely it would be better for any type of cleaner not to leave an oily residue on disks. Like I say, I used the motorbike version without issues.

I had crap squealy braking after using mucoff disk cleaner stuff. Which is odd as their site says ‘Muc-Off Disc Brake Cleaner rapidly air dries leaving no residue. ‘.

Maybe they’ve changed the formula since I used it (2 or so years ago)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I use Utterly Butterly.

andyl
    Free Member

you will get squealy brakes after cleaning the discs thoroughly as you have removed the tiny bits of pad that get embedded into the surface and are left with a clean surface which will squeal.

superdale
    Free Member

I stick with Muc-Off disk brake cleaner – you can clean the pads with it as well surprising what comes off them dust etc. Might squeal a bit to start with but just lets the walkers know to clear off the trail 😛

retro83
    Free Member

andyl – Member

you will get squealy brakes after cleaning the discs thoroughly as you have removed the tiny bits of pad that get embedded into the surface and are left with a clean surface which will squeal.

Squeal was probably the wrong word, it was more like the sound a goose might make if it trod barefoot on an upturned plug.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a load of really hot water, + a little washing up liquid, + a load more really hot water.

it’s not like you’re trying to remove tar – you don’t need very aggressive solvents (although they will work)

Ewan
    Free Member

http://www.maplin.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol-28994

Spray on isopropyl alcohol. That size of can will last for ever.

PaulD
    Free Member

Remove disc, then scrub with an abrasive kitchen cleaner such as Vim or Ajax powder and a scrubbing brush with very hot water (wear rubber gloves). Rinse in very hot water and let air dry. Then use organic volatile solvents to ensure clean. Make sure dry before rubbing new pads on the disc.

Just using an aerosol organic solvent does not get the oily residue out of the holes completely, so the problem can recur. The above process is hardly an epic, but has been 100% successful for me.

PaulD.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say never ever use disc brake cleaner, not the stuff for cars or bikes OR Mucoff brake cleaner. Bizarrely it seems to leave somethign in the pads that cannot be removed. Might not be a problem with big car brakes but it certainly is with mtbs. I’ve had pads that were never right again despite doing basically ALL of the things listed above. Brakes were never quite right. New pads and bingo, so it must’ve been that.

Clutch cleaner on the other hand works brilliantly. Spray liberally so it washes everything off, it evaporates then bingo.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

oven cleaner works so well its silly. I left it on there for an hour once and the disk brakes hadnt been eaten into.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Swafega degreaser works well for me. Cheap and diluted in water it lasts ages

poly
    Free Member

Last time I was in a hurry to clean disks and had run out of IPA – so I used cheap vodka! If you can’t get to a maplin or somewhere else to get IPA then your local pharmacy will have “Surgical Spirit” which will work fine. Personally I wouldn’t use nail varnish remover (although if you have pure acetone that would be OK) because it usually claims to include some “moisturisers” which I assume are oil based (or maybe just water and it is a marketing gimic!)

timmys

I’ve found my niggling brake problems (honking, lack of initial bite) have pretty much been curing by giving the rotors a wipe with IPA after every trip the bike takes on top of the car roof.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i would’nt use any brand of disc brake cleaner

a litre of Isopropyl alcohol from ebay will last years, rinse them with water after though as it does leave a unharmfull film.

ive even soaked contaminated pads in the stuff and its cleared them.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I find the IPA in spray bottles to be about the handiest thing ever. Spray on, wipe off.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Utterly Butterly still works best for me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A blow torch….same as the pads.

igm

Coca-cola is meant to work. It dissolves most things so it’s probably worth a pop – if you try it let me know how it goes.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Contaminated Pads – What shall I clean my rotors with?’ is closed to new replies.