• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lowey.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Contaminated Pads / Rotors
  • lowey

Anyone found a way of sorting this out without actually replacing both ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends how bad but disc brake cleaner , sanding and an oven CAN work

rocketman
    Free Member

Depends on what you’ve contaminated them with but generally brake cleaner + wire wool works on the rotors and for the sake of a few quid some new pads

dirtydog
    Free Member

Electric hob, heat pads until they stop smoking, then wet and dry, use dry on the pads and wet on the dics with a bit of washing-up liquid, has not failed me yet.

poah
    Free Member

pads are so cheap, wash rotors then buy new pads.

matt_outandabout

New pads.
    For the rotor, 240*c in the fan oven until they stopped smoking and turned an ace burnished colour worked on two rotors over the years for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rotor – IPA (not the beer 😉 )

Pads – new pads.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I wouldn’t cook a whole rotor, you will change the properties of the metal throughout.

Unlike normal use where the highly-stressed centre section stays cool.

I’d just wash them with Meths, IPA or Acetone.

matt_outandabout

Is 250c high enough to alter steel alloys! I didn’t think so, but may be wrong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure not.

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t get the point in heating up the rotors. You could just end up burning whatever is on them onto the surface and make it harder to remove. Just clean them in a solvent like IPA.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m very happy to be wrong 😀 It’s been 5 years since I studied that 😉

matt_outandabout

I stand corrected. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Huh?

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Assuming the pads have lots of life left in them & are worth saving, you could try this :-
    Scrub the pads in purple meths with a toothbrush, then leave them to steep overnight in the meths.
    Dry them thoroughly, then rub the friction surface with some clean wet & dry paper.
    Then clean the rotors with the meths, paying particular attention to cleaning all of the black gunge out of each of the drilled holes in the braking surface (I use old-fashioned pipe-cleaners for this)
    This seems to work for me.

mattyfez

IPA is cleaner than meths, and won’t leave any residue,better for cleaning disks I would think. But for pads, just get new ones.

Northwind

andyl – Member

Don’t get the point in heating up the rotors. You could just end up burning whatever is on them onto the surface and make it harder to remove.

I think the assumption is it’s something oily.

For pads, a soak in ipa and then face them off with 80 grit, if that doesn’t work then I just bin em, not worth spending more time than that.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve always found just dragging the brake down long hill sorts it out.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Mentholated spirits work…….pour I a shallow pot and leave to soak for a hour or so

honourablegeorge

Had my brakes bled in Les Arcs a while back, the guy spilled fluid EVERYWHERE

Rotor, pads, caliper allcovered in brake fluid, I was horrified

Then he gave it two hoots of some ace Franch brake cleaner he had, and said “bit noise, first minute, then fine”.

He was right – brakes were perfect on the second pull. Would love to know what brand of cleaner it was.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How have the pads / discs been contaminated and with what?
    Leaky caliper or stranger’s jizz?

Kahurangi

OTOH, pads and rotors are consumables and safety critical features. Bin them and fit new. The old rotors were a bit wobbly and rubbed any way, didn’t they 🙂

I get a year out of rotors and 3 months max out of pads FWIW.

Bruce

I put my rotors in the dishwasher it worked fine. This is assuming there are no aluminum parts to the rotor. I did bin the pads though

ThePinkster

Where do you buy all this IPA from?

I used to get mine from my local chemist but in the last few years they’ve refused to sell it to me.

poah
    Free Member

I just pinch mine from the lab but the times I’ve contaminated my discs/pads I’ve binned the pads and washed the rotor with fairy

Northwind

I got a 5 litre jug off ebay.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Where do you buy all this IPA from?

Maybe not the cheapest, but if you want it quick from the high street, Maplin.

ThePinkster

Cheers.

lowey

OK I’ll ask… Whats IPA.

As for whats contaminated them ? I have no idea. Not a clue. They just gave up working and made horrific squealing noises. Dont want to bin the pads as they are shimano finned ones, only 5 rides old.

Anyway, took them down Walna Scar over the weekend and that seemed to cure it.

Thanks guys.

wors

Isopropyl Alcohol.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Iso Propyl Alcohol (Not India PAle Ale).

dalesjoe
    Free Member

If the IPA doesn’t do the trick try some washing up liquid (yes, seriously! ). Had a set of contaminated pads recently which the IPA treatment wouldn’t budge.

Take out the pads and dab a small amount of neat washing up liquid on each pad. Rub both pads together using your thumb and index finger (fitmly). The liquid will turn black & nasty. Rinse off under the tap & repeat a few times. Use some IPA on the rotors. Finally replace the pads and re bed them in.

Worked a treat for me!

dannybgoode

cheekyget – Member
    Mentholated spirits work…….pour I a shallow pot and leave to soak for a hour or so

How do you get rid of the minty smell afterward?..

richmtb

Pads: Gas hob till they smoke then run them under the tap. Seems to work most of the time if it doesn’t I buy new pads

Rotors: A good clean with brake cleaner and or IPA

lowey

IPA to clean the rotor thoroughly, Heated the pads on the hob, then a quick rub with sandpaper and all working faultlessly.

Cheers guys.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Contaminated Pads / Rotors’ is closed to new replies.