• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Contactless Payments
  • m360
    Free Member

I found out last night that my card is contactless and I don’t need to use my pin.

Anyway, I didn’t get a receipt. I asked but still didn’t get one. Is this normal? Should I have got a receipt? Looking at my pending payments the transaction isn’t showing either…

I shall be contacting my bank to get this deactivated, as it’s not something I want. Seems like open season for thieves to me.

cozz
    Free Member

think its limited to £20 or something like that

useful for MCdonalds drive through !

Jamie
    Free Member

Used it several times at Aldi & M&S. Always got a receipt.

Seems like open season for thieves to me.

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had it for 18 months in Oz, receipt is normal practice and you should always get a receipt for anything you pay for.

It’s a great and more convenient system for me, limited to $100/£50 transaction and backed by the bank if it’s fraud.

bails

It’s only for payments up to £20 iirc.
    You should normally get a receipt though, especially if you ask for one. Don’t see how a receipt affects the theft risk though

It’s only ‘open season for thieves’ if they’ve got your card. If you no longer have your card then call your bank and cancel it. Any stolen transactions will be refunded, not really a problem.

azku
    Free Member

I use contactless payments quite a lot and have never had any problems with. It works just like a normal payment so you should get a receipt.

I believe you can’t spend more than £15-20 on one transaction so yes if your card was pinched could be a problem.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Yes there is a £20 limit, so depends how safe you are with you cards.

m360
    Free Member

Sounds like I should have had a receipt then 🙄

If I used McDonalds, or was in such a rush to pay for my lunch, I guess I could see the benefit. As it happens I’m not, so happy to spend 10 seconds inputting a pin 😉 I’m not convinced my bank would back me up in the event of fraud…

zokes
    Free Member

It’s a great and more convenient system for me, limited to $100/£50 transaction and backed by the bank if it’s fraud.

This +1

(Though it is limited to 20 quid in the UK(

ratherbeintobago

I shall be contacting my bank to get this deactivated, as it’s not something I want. Seems like open season for thieves to me.

I think it asks for a PIN at random with a maximum of x transactions between requests.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Limit £20 per transaction and that tops out at £100 within 24hrs.

Normal to get a receipt too..

HTH

seadog101

I’m pretty sure that getting a receipt is a requirement under the sale of goods act.

Could be wrong, but logic and reason would say so ( 🙄 )

maccruiskeen

It’s only ‘open season for thieves’ if they’ve got your card. If you no longer have your card then call your bank and cancel it. Any stolen transactions will be refunded, not really a problem.

It does seem to have a few exploitable loop holes. In the past when I’ve received new cards I’d needed to call my bank and go through a verification procedure before it can be used. They stopped doing that when contactless cards started being issued. So presumably if I was a postie I could make a contactless transaction without even having to open the envelope.

But if you’re not getting receipts even if you ask of them thats a problem with the shop, not with the card

bigrich

they were trialled here in Oz. limited to 100 bucks. Cards get cloned and thieving bastards go from store to store until the card gets cancelled.

zokes
    Free Member

they were trialled here in Oz. limited to 100 bucks. Cards get cloned and thieving bastards go from store to store until the card gets cancelled.

They are the norm here in Oz. If the bank are happy to wear the cost if your card is stolen / cloned (and they are), then what’s not to like?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bank cover you if fraud anyhow. I hate cash, nothing worse than a pocket full of loose change. Use my contactless everywhere that accepts, usually get a receipt if needed too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you should get a receipt.

I was skeptical but pub barman said it was more secure as you don’t type in your pin so less likely to be “scammed”, I use it quite a lot now you can even use it on london bus for contact less payment if my oyster card is empty

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It also means you can get some more beer from the pub when your too drunk to remember your pin

brooess
    Free Member

If contactless cards were a significant security risk, you’d know about it by now… there’d have been a major fuss by the British Public.

It might feel less secure than Chip and PIN but it’s clearly more secure than cash, which it’s designed to replace…

If you read the info from Visa below, you’ll see many safeguards are in place. I would check with your bank what their fraud policy is as suggested below and basically not worry about it

Info from Visa

Each participating contactless bank sets a limit on the number or value of Visa contactless transactions that can be made before a cardholder is asked to do a normal chip and PIN transaction. If you are a regular user of Visa contactless, you may have noticed this happening – as, every now and then, you will be asked to verify your transaction with your PIN to prove that it is you in possession of your card.

And, just like any other Visa transaction, your bank is routinely looking out for any unusual transactions that may show that it is not you using your card. You will get the same level of protection as any other Visa Debit or Visa Credit transaction. And, if your card is lost or stolen, the card will be blocked by your bank instantly.

If your card is lost or stolen you should notify your bank as soon as possible. If anyone has fraudulently used your contactless card to make a payment, providing you take reasonable precautions to protect your card and let your bank know as soon as you realise it’s gone, you will not be responsible for any losses incurred (subject to your bank’s terms and conditions).

tonyg2003

Yep used them for about a year with no problems. The transactions have a little circle logo on the statements rather than a letter code (ie. SO, DD).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If contactless cards were a significant security risk, you’d know about it by now… there’d have been a major fuss by the British Public.

Chip and pin has some serious security issues that the banks know about but have never been fixed. They opted for trying to stop the research the found the flaws being publicised instead.

At least with contactless payments the back will cough up in the case of fraud, often not so easy with chip and pin card.

Jamie
    Free Member

Chip and pin has been vulnerable for 2+ years, yet there is no outcry.

…mainly because:

They accused some banks of “systematically” suppressing information about the vulnerabilities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19559124

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep so long as the banks are happy to refund and cover the loss then I’m happy to take the risk with their money.

zippykona

We always give a receipt with contactless . All they have to do is press duplicate receipt and hey presto their’s your copy.

jota180
    Free Member

Contactless payments must be saving the banks money some way, this isn’t about saving customers time.
    They’ve been able to process a card very quickly for a while – try timing how long a toll booth takes to process your card – but the retailer had to take the risk
    Something is different now but I’m not sure what but they obviously feel RFID is more secure than the chip so are prepared to take the risk.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I’ve also had a barclays pay tag on the back of mobile for a year or so, just stick it on back and use in same way as contactless card.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The retailer may well be the one pushing it, they pay for every transaction. The faster you are done and out the better especially in high volume stuff.

crazy-legs

I’ve also had a barclays pay tag on the back of mobile for a year or so, just stick it on back and use in same way as contactless card.

Yep, got one on the back of my phone too, use it all the time where I can.

The security risk is no different to losing your Oyster card – that’s exactly the same principle.

Drac

Had it for 3 years I get a receipt as much as any other time as what you pay with makes no difference what so ever. Not had it stolen the more you use it in a day the more likely it does a pin check.

Russell96

I’ve been using a tag on the back of my mobile for over a year as part of an internal trial, with a app/portal to add top ups to it so I can limit how much is on in in case its lost. Was really handy when I was working in Budapest the other month as it seemed there were more terminals that did contactless than back here.

nuke

Happy user here with both contactless credit card and tag on mobile. Just wish they’d roll it out more starting with ticket machines at train stations.

Drac

Oh aye tag thing. Barclaycard sent me one of them about years ago, I chucked it in the fire.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Contactless Payments’ is closed to new replies.