Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Contact lenses and cycling glasses
  • tenfoot

I have recently started wearing contact lenses whilst out on my bike. I noticed tonight that I had a problem with my eyes watering on fast descents.

At the moment I use some cheapo Endura clear glasses for night riding, but I’m wondering if something that wraps around my face a little more might stop my eyes from watering..

Can any contact lens wearers recommend glasses that will help?

Thanks

scotroutes

I tried that, gave up and ended up with prescription Oakleys.

Either way, have a look at the Windjackets.

richen987
    Free Member

I wear Oakley fast jackets seem to do the job fine, used to ride split jjackets but found they fogged up even with the vented lenses, no problems now.

Pridds

Oakley m frames and jawbones for me. Work brilliantly and lots of lense options. They are expensive to start with but I have had my m frames for 13 years and are still the best bit of kit I have bought for the bike

danielgrafik
    Free Member

I just made the switch from prescription glasses to contacts. I always had a fear of buggering my eyes up with contacts, but after having tried all sorts of remedies for foggy glasses I decided to bite the bullet, and I’m not looking back (pun intended).

Anyways, before the switch I wore adidas Evil Eye half rims with prescription inserts. They’re semi-wrap-around-ish so keep the wind out, and they fit great, are light and highly adjustable. Not cheap tough, but you can get a boat load of different lenses, and they’re a snap to change too.

TooTall
    Free Member

have a look at the Bolle safety specs – they do loads of different wraparound designs and they are cheap enough to try a couple of different styles to see what works best.

stevious

Ignore any specific model recommendations. The air profile around the eyewear depends on the shape of your head/face so it’s important to ensure you get glasses that fit YOU. You should try and make sure the glasses follow the shape of your face well, eg narrow glasses for a narrow face.

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 for Bolles – went through a few pairs until I discovered the model that worked (at £6 a pop).

Cheap but not very cheerful 🙁 Fakeleys might do a decent job?

johnellison
    Free Member

M:Wear D’arcs here. Similar shape to Oakley M-Frames at a fraction of the cost. Mind you they look gash after a while where Oakleys tend to keep their looks.

nickc

Stevious is about right, you need to find a pair that fit your face, beware that some wrap around styles will pull air in around your eyes. If its not all a bit too “TJ and helmets” I wear contacts and often go without any sort of glasses. In 20+years I think I’ve had to take 1 lens out and give it a swirl in my mouth and pop it back in

ThePinkster

Been wearing contacts for years and never bothered with expensive cycling glasses as I know I’d either lose or break them.

I’ve generally found cheaper alternatives work really well and I’m currently riding with a pair of these XLC Sri-Lanka sunglasses from CRC whic work really well.

tenfoot

Thanks for the replies. I’ll take a look at the bolle glasses. I’ve had Oakley glasses before and liked them, but not sure I can run to them at the moment.

Could speak to my optician, I guess, but they do have a very large front window !

nixie

Used to use m-frames but found that I often got mud coming up under them (heater lens shape). Now use half jackets and flak jackets which are much better for me.

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve worn contacts for over 20 years and found that they were sticking to my eyeballs a bit too much for my liking after wet rides in particular. I bit the bullet and got some prescription Oakleys a few months ago and haven’t looked back (not literally) – not cheap initially as has been said but definitely one of the very best things I’ve ever bought for the purposes of riding my bike. So much easier (and less uncomfortable). YMMV etc etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Contact lenses and cycling glasses’ is closed to new replies.