Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Contact lenses
  • DezB
    Free Member

What? using a dried out contact lens? No way, bin it.

drlex
    Free Member

Rinse in saline solution, then clean with the relevant solution, rinse in saline and wear?
    Is what I used to do with all my lenses since the a Eighties, until I went to dailies last year, but I’m sure someone will recommend an ultrasonic cleaner in a moment…

Edit: if it dried out, then as Dez said, bin it and replace. I did rehydrate old lenses years ago, but they were non-disposable ones that lasted a year or so.

molgrips
    Free Member

hes just dropped one on the carpet. found it and says its still in shape etc but wants to know what you chaps advise about wearing again?

If you drop it you can pick it up straight away, clean it up and it’ll be ok, I think.

Re cost, I pay £20-something from Specsavers for toric extended wear ones. The extended wear ones and some dailies are silicone based not water based, so they don’t dry out (although your eyes themselves can eventually). This means that at the end of the day they still work as well as they do in the morning. These are somewhat more expensive than the internet ones, but you pay for a service.

Another thing worth noting is that the Specsavers service includes solutions (if you need them), free/money off glasses, regular check ups and test, and usefully spare lenses whenever you need them, if you lose one etc. Presumably there’s a ‘within reason’ clause about this but never had cause to test it out, having only asked for a few spares in 20 or so years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

True that mine aren’t extended wear. They’re cheaper more standard monthly ones (with one being toric), but still from specsavers.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

anyone care to advise on this too please?

Bin it. Probably being over cautious, but it’s your eyes.

StirlingCrispin

I’ve been using contacts for almost two months now.

My eyes were getting old and I needed glasses for distance stuff.
    Went to the local optician: £30 for a fitting session and a month’s stuff. Now on monthly multifocal lenses at £26/mo including solution. These includes free checks and support.

First set of lenses were horrible so they tweaked my prescription and now I’m good. It’s like having young eyes again 🙂
    Also had a lens rip the first month (cack-handed novice – and crikes that was sore) and they just gave me a replacement.

My advice- go for full support when you start off and only then think about the cheap no-frills options.

Note – I dropped a lens on the floor at the optician’s – she just picked it up, cleaned it and handed it back, so I guess that is OK.

bash
    Free Member

Had my appointment today,the optician tried me with lenses for 5 minutes or so and they felt fine, bit weird but ok.

Unfortunately the store was short staffed so I’ve got to go back next week to be shown how to put them in, care of the lenses etc. I’m tempted to give it a go myself as I have the lenses in solution here but don’t want to do any damage to my eyes so not really sure and may just wait until next week. Have been recommended monthlies as I’m hoping to wear them around 12 hrs a day once I get used to them.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Been wearing Specsavers monthlies for over 20 years now with no probems. The only issue I had was that they made my eyes more light sensitive for 3-4 months but that went away. I’m now using their variafocals. Recently tried their thinner more gas permeable lenses but they seemed to dry my eyes out faster. I reckon my eyes have got so used to their standard lenses as I’ve been wearing them for so long that they don’t want to change.

wnbdc
    Free Member

Used daily disposable soft lenses for years and they were good for biking but do dry out at the end of a full days wear. Moved to ortho k lenses about 12 months ago which are almost perfect for biking. You put them in when you go to bed and take them out when you wake up and they correct the shape of your eye whilst you sleep. You can then see all day without wearing any lenses. My daytime vision is now the best I’ve ever experienced. Night vision is also great unless it’s almost completely dark but this doesn’t affect night riding as modern lights are easily bright enough. Not many places offer Ortho k lenses but if you don’t fancy laser treatment I’d highly recommend them for biking. Cost was about £200 up front and then £30 per month.

Kryton57

I want to investigate those ^^ !

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.