Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • contact lens diameter
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just to check, my lens prescription says diameter is 14.4 but set I’m about to buy online are 14.0, i’m guessing that’s going to be fine?….

(emailed them but no response)

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Should be fine – just means they are a bit smaller (obviously). The diameter seems to be taken from whatever brand you are using. You may need to be careful as I am guessing you are ordering contacts from an online retailer who will need to check with your optician to verify the prescription. Any differences can be taken as you trying a different prescription and may therefore be refused – depends how accommodating your optician is.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok i’ll give it a bash, if optician gets shirty I’ll get another fitting and can always use an acuvue voucher if have to

jam-bo

You may need to be careful as I am guessing you are ordering contacts from an online retailer who will need to check with your optician to verify the prescription.

I don’t think they actually do…

fontmoss
    Free Member

well they have a copy of my prescription so don’t need to contact the optician but prob can if they need to

T666DOM

The diameter can have a profound effect on contact lenses, less so with soft lenses than hard lenses. 14.4 is pretty big for a soft lens, going to a 14.0 may cause problems with the fit, depending on how well your lenses fitted in the first place. If your lenses are loose fitting you may need the extra diameter for the lens to completely cover your cornea, the 14.0 may not do this and could lead to irritation.

If you’ve been fitted with a particular lens you should only be supplied with the same spec for base curve, diameter and power.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘contact lens diameter’ is closed to new replies.