Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Consuming the news… How do you do it?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Travelling with work at the moment and just chilling out catching up on the world while having a beer sat at the bar. Do people these days actually care enough to read beyond the headlines or Facebook?

binners

I’ve got a Guardian subscription. I get the actual physical paper and read it every day. In doing so I consider myself some relic from the 50’s. Even though I wasn’t born until the 70’s…

TV wise I watch Channel 4 news, and thats it. The rest is utter tabloid drivel. And sadly I now include the BBC in that. The standards have fallen so sharply, so quickly there, its incredible. I don’t believe a single word I read on the internet, as I just assume everyone else posts the same standard of drivel as me

oldtalent
    Free Member

Daily mail is my only source of news.
    It fits in with my views perfectly.

EDIT online only.

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlEIryW8zA[/video]

Torminalis
    Free Member

It has been said that if you want answers on the internet then you should not ask a question, you should just provide an incorrect answer.

That is why STW is the definitive news source.

fasthaggis

Online,radio,telly,papers at the weekend and some slow journalismDelayed Gratification,which is an interesting way to see some of the bigger stories after the dust has settled.

IHN

R4; Today and PM, on the drive to/from work

Occasional browsing of the headlines on the BBC news app.

Can’t remember the last time I watched the news on the tellybox.

footflaps

I mainly inject it.

BillMC

Guardian subscription, R4,PE, NS, no telly. Thinking of giving up the Guardian after all the post-Rushbridger changes but struggling to find a decent alternative. I’m just getting sick of the identity-based ‘journalism’ and their endless name-dropping of their mates in film, theatre, music and so on.

footflaps

but struggling to find a decent alternative

I keep toying with an FT subscription….

billybadger
    Free Member

Mock The Week, Have I Got News For You, The Now Show.

Pretty much the only sane and balanced reporting out there.

BillMC

I used to get both the FT and the Guardian but it’s now unaffordable (best journalism on ‘Fleet St’ though).

steve-g
    Free Member

I like to read the Daily Mash and try to infer from their stories what must be happening in the “real” news.

That and I have sky news playing on a TV above my desk spewing its doom and gloom at me for the entire work day, thankfully subs and no sound

deadkenny
    Free Member

Breaking news headlines – twitter

Then I have news aggregating apps that I browse through and go into the detail if I want. They’re all varied online news sites.

Then I take it all with a pinch of salt. Newspapers and their online variants are after all opinion (with a bias), not news reporting. Even Sky and BBC.

I have Sky and/or BBC on rolling news in the background quite a bit but I get tired of the obvious “exclusive” they do which is more about willy waiving than actual news (and often no one else remotely considers it news anyway). “Breaking News” on both are just everything that is news even if it’s been 24 hours since it actually broke.

househusband

Radio 4 and, sometimes, the Channel 4 news in the evening.

Used to have a subscription to an a physical broadsheet but I couldn’t justify the cost as I seldom had time to read much of it.

willard

Radio 4’s Today program, Flipboard and Reuters on the iPad in the morning. Private Eye every fortnight.

I really should buy a subscription, I’d feel middle aged and responsible then.

dragon
    Free Member

TV, Radio, recognised news web sites. Definitely not social media unless I suddenly wake up and give sh*t what Kayne West thinks.

MSP

I spread the daily mail out on the floor, strip naked, smear myself with olive oil and roll around on it, absorbing the contradictory stories of foreign perverts invading Britain and doesn’t celebs 13year old daughters look mature in makup.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I get all my news from JiveHoneyJive and Jambalaya.

My brain hurts 🙁

MrSalmon
    Free Member

All online, mainly BBC, Guardian, and through a sort of inferencing from other places that are sort of one step removed but gives a sort of big picture, like The Conversation. I think it goes without saying that most things need to be taken with a large pinch of salt but that said I do think the BBC do at least make an attempt at showing bigger pictures once you move beyond the main headlines.

Very rarely see TV news, and when I do I’m astonished by the ratio of actual information content to emotional button-pressing, standing outside buildings where some meeting is going on or something terrible has happened, lingering shots of discarded teddy bears, lots of context shots etc. C4 news are the best of that bunch I think, but otherwise it’s like Drop the Dead Donkey, if anyone remembers that!

footflaps

I watch The Day Today

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

Radio 4 and sometimes channel 4. Agreed that BBC TV news has dropped off in quality and depth. BBC on line news is ok.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Filter upgrade

nickc

Every now and then I try the Today programme but I just end up shouting at the radio.

Internet mainly, various sites, some mainstream, Guardian, Telegraph, Indy (in small doses, their websitre has the same effect on me as Today) and others less mainstream.

sometimes the telly, although less and less these days, as it’s just so poor.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

R4; Today and PM, on the drive to/from work

That’s about it.

Cougar

I let everyone else read the news. I figure, if there’s something important, they’ll tell me.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I keep toying with an FT subscription….

£30 a month for premium online if you buy annually, and that includes their archive etc.
    A bargain, but you can’t beat the paper version at the weekend.

chvck
    Free Member

Google now which seems to aggregate random new articles covering a wide range of topics. Links via various social media, including here.

vorlich
    Free Member

Used to be Channel 4 for me, generally good journalism but became increasingly annoyed by their fluff pieces. Final straw was the Irish bloke reporting the Jimmy Savile story in the style of a top ten count down. I even questioned him about it on Twitter about it and he claimed to see no issue with the tone.

boltonjon

Guardian website & Channel 4 news but should read more to get better balance

Agree with comments above – BBC news is now drivel

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I let everyone else read the news. I figure, if there’s something important, they’ll tell me.

Oh I meant to mention, asteroid is going to hit the earth at 8pm.

mefty
    Free Member

Today programme or other Radio 4 news programmes. You get more news in the 10 minute summary on the hour than any TV news progamme despite being longer. Channel 4 News was much better in Peter Sissons’s day, far too smug now. BBC TV News is very shallow as is Newsnight now. Given up on all TV output other than Sky if there is a breaking story, like the Turkey coup – there are so far ahead it is embarrassing.

Newspapers – read for commentators, all have good commentators and also read Spectator and browse New Statesman.

Stoner
    Free Member

Subscribe to the economist and spectator.

PM, “evening Eddie”

Much shouting at Today like nick

For breaking or off radar stuff it’s twitter every day.

BBC, Sky, europolitic, and France 24 websites for MSM take on “big” stories.

Never TV news, too many idiots, too many egos, too many vox pops

RustySpanner

Radio 4.

Used to buy either the Telegraph, Grauniad
    or Independent, depending if I fancied being angry, patronised or bored stupid.

But I can’t be arsed anymore, there’s nothing of substance left.

I think the final straw was realising that Bryony Gordon’s column was genuine and not written by Craig Brown after all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I mainly ignore news and take no interest in it at all
    Politics and those that drone on about it’ll the time bores me silly, and there’s never any good news. Just bitching and fighting.
    The only thing that interests me is local stuff in the local free paper, because it’s relevant to me.

smatkins1
    Free Member

If you work in an office I suspect you just read the BBC News Website in your lunch break.

Probably stating with the 10 ‘Most Popular’ stories from the box half way down the page. Hope you don’t click on anything embarrassing or with sound. Then work your way through the tabs at the top. Trying to look sophisticated with the world news and business tabs and avoiding the dribble in the tabs at the far right.

…or is that just me?!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Radio 4 , Today, BBC news

teasel
    Free Member

Bongohooha » I get all my news from JiveHoneyJive and Jambalaya.

My brain hurts

Heh, my sides etc.

With pop views like that you’ll squeeze in nicely with the ol’ STW Boys Club in no time at all.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Serious question. If I want to go any buy a newspaper that is non biased is it the guardian? I get that wound up that I either ignore news, get annoyed by the way it’s reported or read the metro for free.

BigJohn

Independent Online subscription and BBC online news. They seem to conform to my view if the world. When I wake up in the middle of the night the Independent seems to have downloaded and is good for a half hour skim.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Consuming the news… How do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.