Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Consumer rights…………discuss
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Consumer rights and warranties,
    May 2015 Multimedia headunit bought from retailer (telephone sale for £800.00.
    May 2016 had repairs under warranty by manufacturer (within 12 months).
    September 2016 & november 2016 same issue has occurred and has been ‘repaired’ each time.
    Issue still present.
    Replacement unit offered by manufacturer but only comes with a 6 month warranty not 12 months as a new retail unit would have
    Discuss……………………….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Warranty is from day of purchase not repair or replacement. If it’s a persistent fault in warranty then request money back.

scotroutes

2 years minimum for electrical goods under EU legislation. Bloody Euros, imposing their consumer rights laws on us….

Sale of Goods Act will give you up to 6 years but the onus would be on you to prove that it’s a design/manufacturing fault.

martinhutch

I’d probably take the replacement at this point.

Sounds like the retailer has done alright by you – repairs outside the 12-month ‘official’ warranty period, the offer of a new unit at this stage.

jairaj

I believe you have 2 years for electrical goods but isn’t the contract with the retailer not the manufacturer? So its up to the retailer to put it right for you.

If its been multiple times for the same repair you could argue the product is not fit for purpose and request money back but I think after this time period you may only be allowed a partial refund?

Try Which website or Money saving expert website, they should have full rules and regulations.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

If they could repair the fault properly, you’d have a unit with no warranty on it.

So the replacement puts you in a better place than a repair. No brainer?

nickc

sounds like they’ve be “reasonable” and isn’t that the test in these sorts of situations?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Is it a Spesh?

Locoboy
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the replies, I tried to play my face about the NEW replacement unit having less warranty than a retail bought unit even though it is exactly the same item but they are having none of it.
    I could go down the route of small claims and forcing the consumer rights act on the retailer as it is manufacturing fault which appears not to be able to be remedied successfully but to be honest, the retailer has been great with me, they have just been let down by the manufacturer who made an item with a design fault and I don’t want to lumber the retailer with the hassle.

So I have accepted the new unit with the 6 month warranty and may just sell it on.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the replies, I tried to play my face about the NEW replacement unit having less warranty than a retail bought unit even though it is exactly the same item but they are having none of it.

That is because they are right, the original part has warranty, you are still using the warranty of the original part. You have not purchased the replacement. Hence the comment about asking for a refund.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Consumer rights…………discuss’ is closed to new replies.