Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Consumer rights help. Before I get arrested!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Purchased a squash racquet on Sunday, used for ten minutes on Wednesday, strings snapped! I appreciate strings do snap but after ten minutes? Phone up store, speak to manager, he says we don’t cover strings in racquets, I explain it was ten minutes into game, so surely there’s something wrong with the stringing? Doesn’t matter we don’t cover strings so **** off!
    Any actual legal ground to stand on before I go into shop 👿

thepurist

Sale of goods act – not ‘of satisfactory quality’ or ‘fit for purpose’. Now can I have a new racquet or would you prefer a visit from local trading standards Mr manager?

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’ve spoke to head uk, and I’ve mentioned trading standards to the assistant manager of the store (the manager refuses to speak to me now) and theyre sticking to their guns and basically said bring it on!
    Any guessers of the store? Never again I might add!

trail_rat
    Free Member

sport direct.

pay with CC ?

Cougar

They can’t waive your statutory rights, that’s what “statutory” means.

argoose
    Free Member

Trading standards or small claims court

thepurist

The Which? site that I linked to above has some example letters to send to reject an item citing the SOGA. Send one of them, then small claims online after 7 days.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup sports direct!
    Thanks thepurist, I didn’t get that far, i just used the basic stuff it stated when I rang back. Couldn’t believe both the little shyster managers used the same analogy regarding buying a new car and the tyres blowing out and how they wouldn’t be covered, I asked if it was something they were taught in manager training?!
    I can’t go in to the store now because I know they’ll give me the same spiel and I know I’d just end up taking a new racquet off the shelf and probably get lifted in the process.
    He genuinely didn’t gaf when I mentioned soga and said “go for it mate” when I mentioned trading standards!

wrightyson
    Free Member

And yes I did pay with cc as everything we buy is bought on one. Speak to cc provider?

wwaswas

He’s betting you don’t.

Surprise him and do.

pdw
    Free Member

So I’ve spoke to head uk, and I’ve mentioned trading standards

Vague threats involving Trading Standards are not what you want. You need to explicitly reference your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act, quoting the Act at them if necessary.

Do they agree that the SoGA applies to this purchase? (it does)

If so, do they agree that as it is less than six months, it is their responsibility to prove that this failure was not the result of the faulty goods?

If so, how do they intend to prove it?

In any event, what thepurist says is right: send the letter using the template from the Which site, then 7 days later raise a claim.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After speaking to head (racquet make) I also found out that it’s exactly the same frame sold to “proper” sports shops but the string and grip quality are far less. This is the deal that enables sd to sell them discounted. However as they state the rrp as £x are they also selling goods under false pretences? I just thought it was last seasons stock not lower quality.

project
    Free Member

when ever i shop in sports direct, its like shoplifters paradise, no staff,staff with no intrest, loads of stock and a huge fire loading and blocked isles with stuff.

But its cheap

retro83
    Free Member

Good luck op. I had a badminton racquet from there incorrectly stringed. Had to argue with them to get out changed and it still had the cellophane on the handle, so obviously not used.

Cougar

I just thought it was last seasons stock not lower quality.

Irrelevant, they still have to be fit for purpose.

ampthill

I don’t play racket sports.

Can some one who does assure us that a string failure is a result of a manufacturing error. The puncture argument seems plausible to me

I wouldn’t trust Sports Direct but I suspect Head would know where they stand on a broken string

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Consumer rights help. Before I get arrested!’ is closed to new replies.