Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • consumer advice – broken components
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

if i bought a component 9 days ago and it broke after 2 rides (internal) and not remotely my fault, would the shop have to replace or would they go through the warranty process and send said item off?

Junkyard
    Free Member

[TANNOY] TJ to the forum TJ to the Forum[/TANNOY]

racing_ralph
    Free Member

kind of what i hoped

votchy
    Free Member

2 bike shops I have purchased bikes from, one changed the part under warranty then dealt with manufacturer, was without bike for a couple of days, one sent bike back to manufacturer/distributor to sort warranty, was without bike for couple of weeks, know which one will get my cash (if) when I buy a bike again

GJP
    Free Member

I thought that within 28 days they should offer a refund or replacement – customers choice. Outside 28 days retailer would put in a warranty claim. May not be consumer law – just best practice.

Sales of Goods Act – often misquoted – but if a component fails after 9 days seems like a reasonable case to argue not fit for purpose?

fubar
    Free Member

Some will swap no question…I've had another experience where they sent it back to the distributor to examine to be told it was my fault i.e. I'd broke it and it wasn't faulty (I haven't shopped with that internet retailer / LBS again even though they offer some of the lowest prices).

trail_rat
    Free Member

just go in quoting all sorts of mumbo jumbo and shout loudly ….

life will then get very difficult for you and youll end up chasing your own tail 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

with your reputation? 😕

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

with your reputation?

if thats aimed at me ????

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*Bangs head*

[stock advice mode]Sale of goods act is quite clear – if something broke as a result of an inherent defect – either design or manufacturing you have the right to your money back, replacement or repair – your choice which so long as you do this in a reasonable time. Your contract is with the retailer – no one else. This does not cover poor fitting or wear and tear.

At less than 6 months old it is for the retailer to prove it was not an inherent fault ( again dependent on a reasonableness test). If there is dispute about why the failure it might be reasonable to get an opinion from the manufacturer. Have a read thru the advice on this government site and see what applies[/stock advice mode]

GJP – that is wrong. Mixing up different legislation there. There is no set timings apart from the reversed burden of proof at less than six months.

retailers will try to tell you different as the Sale of goods act is burdensome and perhaps unfair on retailers – but that is the law.

What was the part and could it be hamfistedness?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What component? We want to know what you broke now

james
    Free Member

"if a component fails after 9 days seems like a reasonable case to argue not fit for purpose?"

Go look it up (bacause I don't know), but I thought after a short period of time you could essentially refuse the contract/sale

The warranty is with the shop, manufacturers warranties can often go beyond that and the shop will very often try to claim on any manufacturers warranty so that they don't end up with a warranty fixed s/h item having given you a brand new one, which if done in a 'reasonable time'

Awaits correction ..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

anyone any links to consumer law stuff?

nina
    Free Member

why not just go and try instead of asking on here?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am at work and when i asked the original question i was 10:30pm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you read my post? Contains a good link with further links on the page.

What was the part?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Not saying until i have spoken to the shop

nina
    Free Member

was it a life size ron jeremy doll?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh and he broke it internally.

You're funny Ran,I miss you. Are you cumming to my party tomorrow?

nina
    Free Member

i dunno, what is it? is it in that weird place in protobelly, the turkish baths or whatever?

goog
    Free Member

i'll be there

nina
    Free Member

really? if thats true sign me up

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I miss nina too 🙁

nina
    Free Member

feeling the love

racing_ralph
    Free Member

fixed and for free within 2 hours 🙂

Chesterfields best bike shop strikes again 🙂 (in a good way!!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

so what was it ? was it really broken ……

racing_ralph
    Free Member

motion control damper – when the pushloc was used a loud crack/ping and no spring tension – slack cable.
    The spring inside the damper had come away, damper stripped, reattached, now back to good again 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘consumer advice – broken components’ is closed to new replies.