Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • consultation on sheffield moors master plan
  • nosedive
    Free Member

there is a consultation ongoing until November 23rd about the ‘masterplan’ for the moorland around Sheffield.

http://www.sheffieldmoors.co.uk/consultation/

it is pretty heavy reading, but there is some good stuff in there, including proposals for linked up networks of bridleways.

there is a feedback section on the website. This is a really good chance to get our views across. If enough of us register our discontent with the maintanence that has turned houndkirk moor into a featureless motorway perhaps we can stop it happening again.

Please help by adding some feedback!

nosedive
    Free Member

shameless bump

antigee

think that the report includes a good list of missing bridleway links that need acting on and is a big step forward as is specific rather than vague twaddle about improving cycle access

not sure how to word it on the track maintenance issue – one way to look at it is that bridleways are multi-user routes and those that enjoy a bit of rough are possibly the minority of potential users – or could argue that in the moorland environment sanitised tracks to suit all are not appropriate and that facilities for leisure cycling are available in other areas of the Peak District

i’ve previously argued that maybe we should accept 3m wide stone chip highways if they are intended as traffic free routes that will allow those that want a bit more adrenalin in their mountain biking to access locations that will provide that – the problem is that the plan falls back on the concept that mtb’s (for want of any other term) can only access the area on bridleways or proposed concessionary bridleways, there is no good reason for this – landowners including Sheffield City Council(one of the largest owners in the East Peak) could simply allow open access for MTBs – personally i would argue that all CROW land should be accessable to mountain bikes as it is to walkers – but for the sake of compromise in my comments I’ll be asking for “open access” for mountain bikers to be a consideration in all land management reviews with a default position that open access should be the preferred option and that landowners shouldn’t be encouraged to believe that off road cycling only belongs on bridleways

great to see cycle sheffield in the list of stakeholders and to be specifically mentioned in a short list of “passionate and knowledgeable” groups that had much to contribute

antigee

whoops too late to edit – meant ride sheffield

nosedive
    Free Member

thanks antigee, a consideration of open access during reviews is a great idea, I will add the same when I comment. I might also add something that there is a standard requirement that any trail maintanence is proposed, and has time for review by ‘passionate and knowledgeable groups’ prior to going ahead. The last round of work on houndkirk moor went ahead very quickly after the signs went up, if we can avoid there might be less problems in future.

A really good networked of linked bridleways would be excellent, I went out in the peak for the first time in a few months on Sunday and I had forgotten how many road miles were needed to link things up. Not ideal on a 160mm bike with 2.5 tyres

bowglie

Thanks for starting this thread, as the master plan is a golden opportunity to improve legitimate access to some nice trails.

not sure how to word it on the track maintenance issue – one way to look at it is that bridleways are multi-user routes and those that enjoy a bit of rough are possibly the minority of potential users – or could argue that in the moorland environment sanitised tracks to suit all are not appropriate and that facilities for leisure cycling are available in other areas of the Peak District

Yes, I agree, the maintenance issue is a tricky one – as you say, it’s worth remembering that Bridleways are multi user. Houndkirk is even more of a motorway now, but at least MTBers input (allegedly?!) meant that the coucil have left the ‘techy strip’ along the side of one longish section (although I seem to be the only nutter that rides it! 😕 )

I think the ‘open access’ idea is a good suggestion – Not sure if this is the right way to go, but to counter potential anti-bike people, mention that it’ll spread MTBers thinner over a larger area, so avoiding potential conflict etc. Whether open access for bikes is likely to happen is another thing, but if it’s not asked, I guess we’ll never know.

Also I’m not sure whether to mention that off-road routes are potentially safer than using some roads – but a few years ago, a small group of horse-riders and a couple of us MTBer’s used this arguement to get a FP upgraded to Concess BW with some success.

One of these ‘alternative to road’ avoids the horrible bit of road between Grindleford & Hathersage. The path (now a FP) follows the river along the valley, and AFAIK, it was a historic bridleway that people used to avoid paying tolls on the turnpike road . TBH, the route isn’t technically interesting, but it’d be great for more casual riders and families (flat, pretty safe/good visibility for multi-users, nice countryside etc.etc. Oh, also pretty good surface with good vehicle access to all the route, so pretty cheap for council/Nat Park to surface worn bits of trail). Hmmm…might suggest the latter route in the consultation thing 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

good thoughts bowglie. the plan is quite specific, suggesting specific routes to change might just work.

I think there is an argument to allow bikes on the wide, recently upgraded footpath that runs below burbage edge. At the moment the byway across houndkirk is the only way across the moor, having 2 routes across would mean much more opportunity (legal opportunity) for an off road return route.

I still need to read what is proposed in more detail though before putting pen to paper, planning on having a look over lunchtime

christhetall
    Free Member

Bumping this up and urging any Sheffield MTBers to fill out the consultation form to support the proposal.

Yes theres a lot of stuff there, but have a look at Figure 7 – Potential Additional Access & Recreational Infrastructure. This proposes a number of paths being upgraded to bridleways, which would dramatically improve the options for traffic-free access to the Peak from Sheffield.

OK these tracks aren’t likely to be super challenging, but for those of us you like long rides and to leave the car at home it would be a huge boost.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘consultation on sheffield moors master plan’ is closed to new replies.